Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a QUalified HGV Technician, but you'll know as well as me Cars are completely different to trucks
I have a Renault Modus 1.4 petrol which had a missfire on cyl 1 obd dtc p0301. I have replaced all the spark plugs as matter of course although they looked good.i also swapped the coil pack from number 1 cyl with number 4 cylinder rechecked the obd and the code changed to p0304 cyl number 4 miss fire. so I went on to buy a new coil pack. fitted the coil pack and it still shows the fault on number 4. i swapped the new coil pack with number 1 and it still shows the fault on number 4. however the rrignal fault was on number 1. if i delete the dtc it runs fine on idle but as soon as you rev the engine it comes back on any ideas

D

·
0 Posts
It's probably worth cleaning the tdc sensor (top of gearbox bellhousing) which picks up a signal on the flywheel for starters.
I'm led to believe the coils are wired in pairs (1&4 ,2&3), so unplug the ecu and check the plug / contacts are clean, no iffy wires etc etc.
Make sure you disconnect battery as these french things are very tempermental with anything electrical!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Re: Renault Modus 1.4 petrol tdc sensor

Hi I have had a problem with my 54 plate 1.4 modus feeling very lumpy, poor fuel economy and finally yesterday the ecu light came on and it sounded quite rough.
After looking through the forum i have completed the following.
Removed all the ignition coils and spark plugs, No4 had moisture on the coil and plug plus the plug was dirty compared to the other three.
I have cleaned the plugs and sprayed WD40 on the coil and down the hole to dissipate the moisture before putting the plugs back in.
Cleaned the TDC sensor which is located at the back of the bell housing held in by one 6mm bolt and not at the top of the bell housing like on some of the other renault engines.
I had to remove the battery box and the air filter box so that i could gain access to the sensor.
Here is a picture of the sensor locking to make it easier to find.
So far so good, the car is running smoother and there are no warning lights.
I have looked on ebay just in case and you can get a set of four ignition coils made by Valeo who make them for Renault for £60.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Renault Modus 1.4 petrol tdc sensor

Hi,
got exactly the same problem with the tdc sensor.
2005 modus done 30k
any chance you could send me the photo as I am having problems viewing it.
[email protected]
Thanks in advance. cars in pieces at the moment just getting the battery holder out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem but it is worse when trying to accelerate. It just seems to completely lose power when setting off or changing gear. I have had the dephaser replaced, a new timing chain, the water pump replaced, the sensor replaced, all spark plugs and ignition coils replaced at a cost of just over £700. At first it seemed better but after 1 day it is performing almost as badly and the red spanner symbol is on again. I have contacted the garage and have to take it back in but even the mechanics seemed stumped. Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, any info or advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Hi miw54

This may not be anything to do with the problems you are having with your car, but I had a fault with my other car a Renault espace.
The warning light kept coming on and the car went into limp mode, it turned out to be the brake pedal switch was not adjusted correctly so the ecu cuts the power because it thinks there is a fault with the brakes.
The switch is on a ratchet system, I pulled it down a couple of clicks so that it was pressed more when the pedal was up and I havent had any problems with it since.
I hope this helps because it is a really easy fix and free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Thanks for your post. However, it has been back in the garage and it turned out to be a timing issue. Having had this adjusted it is now running great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts