Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my Modus occasionally it will lose power in 3rd gear then power will come back. When problem is at it's worst the check emissions light comes on and car goes into limp home mode. I had an issue recently like the throttle body was completely disconnected (was able to simulate my fault by doing just this) and discovered some bad connections on the ecu as rainwater must've been getting in anyway the pins were slightly oxidised NOT rusty though. Cleaned the pins off dried out the ecu in a warm cupboard reconnected and everything great have not been able to get my m8 to reset my error codes yet so check emissions light is still on. The car drives fine and behaves great but occasionally I will lose power in 3rd while accelerating the the power will return and car will accelerate normally. Does anyone have any experience of this fault. Could I be looking at a bad wiring loom giving the ecu poor data signals or may the crank sensor be faulty.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,431 Posts
does this loss of power only ever happen in third gear and nother gears, or is it a rev range fault, I dont know of anything that changes in a car in third gear that does not change with any other gear selection, apart from the speed of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does this loss of power only ever happen in third gear and nother gears, or is it a rev range fault, I dont know of anything that changes in a car in third gear that does not change with any other gear selection, apart from the speed of the vehicle.
Happens in any gear but more noticeable in 3rd. Have had a live data test run and my mechanic was in the passenger seat watching the readings as I drove for a bit and when the fault occurs the reading from the rear 02 sensor drops right off. So I think am gonna get a new one just to eliminate it as a suspect as I don't know if the sensor itself is faulty or the 12V supply to it is faulty.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,431 Posts
Parts Darts is an expensive game, surely the mechanic will be able to ttell you whether there is 12v reaching the sensor before you spend money on a new one to find out it is in fact the cable?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,103 Posts
I think the one thing you can almost guarantee is that it is not the sensor.
They do not intermittently fail.
Given what you have found, I would be concentrating on the cables to it.
You also need to work out if the fault is because of the sensor reading or the sensor reading due to the fault.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts