Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having learned that the from bumper has to be removed to access changing a head lamp bulb can anyone advie how to access the oil filter?:crazy:

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Headlight bulb renewal

Hi – Matt Chapman – somebody is winding you up – real big-time – cos in my experience it can normally be done by access from the rear of the headlamp – although it may be tricky – trust me it can be done. Remember don’t touch the glass on the new bulb or it’ll blow very quickly. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headlamp bulb

Hi – Matt Chapman – somebody is winding you up – real big-time – cos in my experience it can normally be done by access from the rear of the headlamp – although it may be tricky – trust me it can be done. Remember don’t touch the glass on the new bulb or it’ll blow very quickly. :p
Well the problem is that in order to access the release bolts for the headlamp 2 are located behind the front bumper and one under a plug in the wheel arch anyway having been there and done that I am sure there is no other way and the Renault method is to remove the bumper although you can just drop one side.

Anyway any idea how to access the oil filter where space is very limited?

Matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
oil filter change

I have read a post elsewhere which says you need a special tool - sounds like a large filter socket on an extension.. it said that even renault use one and the mechanics (parts filters?) put double sided tape inside the cup to stop he new filter falling off when fitting.... I'm on free servicing but I will certainly be seeing if I can mark the old filter to make sure it isnt "forgotten"

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have to remove the cover under neath the engine. The bolts snap easily. Not good. The oil filter can be reached, but it is at a funny angle.
There is no way to change a headlight bulb with out removing the front bumper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've one of those in my toolkit and spent ages attempting to remove the oil filter with it on my 1.6 petrol Modus a few weeks ago.

In the end I gave up trying and bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250844662623

Ignore that it says Laguna on the item listing, it's the same fitting for all the Renault petrol engines. Not certain if it fits the diesels though.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its only fair to say, regarding the headlights, that the new Modus ones are accessible from the engine compartment, so Renault have obviously listened. What a difference. Re. the filter. Our local Budget Tyres and Exhaust does oil and filter change for £39.95 using Mobil 1 top grade oil so hardly worth doing it yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its only fair to say, regarding the headlights, that the new Modus ones are accessible from the engine compartment, so Renault have obviously listened. What a difference. Re. the filter. Our local Budget Tyres and Exhaust does oil and filter change for £39.95 using Mobil 1 top grade oil so hardly worth doing it yourself.
I'd be very surprised they are using Mobil 1 at that price, it seems too low to be believed.

Even buying in bulk (200 litres) works out at £7.49 / litre. 5L = £37.45 just for the oil

http://www.lubricantsupplies.co.uk/manufacturer/mobil-products/mobil-1-new-life-0w40-x-20-litres.html

add another £5 for the filter

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6837-oil-filter-ufi-spin-on-oil-filter-2341800.aspx

and a £1 for the new sump washer

comes to approx £43

this is without labour.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If you knew the mark-up on engine oils you would be surprised for how little a bulk order can be bought for.

For instance my local motor factors can beat any online price on 5 litre containers and he still makes a hefty profit. Same goes for oil filters as long as they ain't specials.

I'll give you a recent example. I needed a few H4 headlight bulbs and he was able supply them for £1-00 plus VAT each. If I was prepared to buy a box of 10 the price dropped even much more and I don't have the buyiong power of a large chain.
Most retailers were asking £3-50 and much more at certain oultlets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd be very surprised they are using Mobil 1 at that price, it seems too low to be believed.

Even buying in bulk (200 litres) works out at £7.49 / litre. 5L = £37.45 just for the oil

http://www.lubricantsupplies.co.uk/manufacturer/mobil-products/mobil-1-new-life-0w40-x-20-litres.html

add another £5 for the filter

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6837-oil-filter-ufi-spin-on-oil-filter-2341800.aspx

and a £1 for the new sump washer

comes to approx £43

this is without labour.

Steve
I'm pretty sure Kwik-Fit, who own Budget, would be unlikely to a) advertise this and b) give a receipt stating that this was the oil used if it were not the case. Surely a huge trades description issue not worth chancing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Google "Modus Oil Filter Wrench" the large socket version will be about £9 Make sure that it works for the clio / Modus diesel or petrol version that you have - I think that it is the 76mm version but check first., there is a 3-legged prong device that fits onto a socket extension to grip the filter about the same price, or there are strap wrenches but you can only use these beneath the car and they are fidldey to use in the tight space

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have just bought a 10 reg 1.2 dynamique modus is this the new modus you mean ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, hope u have more luck than me, done the oil and fiter and was ok around the houses until i went on motorway then the filter became loose, lost the oil and ruined bottom end of engine, got another engine fitted, cost me 900 quid in all .only had it 4 month. moral of my story?. let garage do it or MAKE SURE THE FILTER IS ON TIGHT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked my 54 Modus up on Sunday and as a precaution I got National tyres to do an oil filter and sump washer change, for the lot £35. Bargain!!! I can recommend this service as I will get mine done every 3-4 months.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,207 Posts
I picked my 54 Modus up on Sunday and as a precaution I got National tyres to do an oil filter and sump washer change, for the lot £35. Bargain!!! I can recommend this service as I will get mine done every 3-4 months.
Dont quite understand your post..you say sump washer change..so how do they keep the oil in the engine when they take the sump plug out..:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can see a lot of You tube films how to change head lightbulbs, but they all remove the bumper.

Oil filter can be reached if you remove RH wheel (1,2 - 16 valves 75 engine) ore remove bottom plate. If you can not loosen it by hand use a screw driver. Nock it through the filter, an turn it, but use a newspaper ore something alike to direct the oil coming out from the filter .
kindly
Arne
can see this is an old question but anyway

1 - 20 of 26 Posts