Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing as now, finally, I've had the last straw with the Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi I brought from new. A lovely equiped car, let down by the build quaility, electrics and our local awful dealer. So thankfully I've now sold it.

So what went wrong;

Warped brake disk causing the car to judder. Occured since delivery and fixed after 13 mths, when the dealer finally admitted there was a problem which wasn't due to the wheel balance!

Alarm which didn't work due to a known fault with the bonnet catch. Fixed after 1 month - during which time I couldn't lock the car at night as there is no way of disabling the alarm according to the dealer.

Dealer never returned the wheel lock key, and failed to own up to this for 8 mths, until they were suddenly found, along with another set(!), after I refused to leave the dealership (my tires needed changing and I had 2 hours to kill).

Child locks button sometimes worked, amusing.

Electric windows buttons sometimes failed to work, could be fixed by stopping and restarting the car.

Cigar lighter socket which liked to pop out of the dash.

Extemely expensive services charges.

And who would design a family car without a spare wheel. I've had to call out family twice due to the wheel being torn due to rubbish. The puncture kit won't fix these. With an autistic child in the car this isn't funny!

So what can I say. First new car I've brought, but certainly the last Renault I'd ever own. Let down mainly the dealership and secondly the build quality.

Got a SAAB now, the difference is amazing.

O

·
0 Posts
I feel for you and know exactly what you mean - what you have penned could have come from me after I got rid of the 53 plate E Class Mercedes I had from new after only 18 months - I can honestly say that I had never had such poor service and such a problematic car!

I had problems with the Espace we had but the service from the dealer was good and certainly better than I'd had from Merc and many others before.

I think we can all put up with some of the problems that we must come to expect from modern cars as long as we get good service from the dealers - there's a lesson for Renault and other manufacturers in there somewhere!

Good luck with Saab:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I'm writing as now, finally, I've had the last straw with the Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi I brought from new. A lovely equiped car, let down by the build quaility, electrics and our local awful dealer. So thankfully I've now sold it.

So what went wrong;

Warped brake disk causing the car to judder. Occured since delivery and fixed after 13 mths, when the dealer finally admitted there was a problem which wasn't due to the wheel balance!

Alarm which didn't work due to a known fault with the bonnet catch. Fixed after 1 month - during which time I couldn't lock the car at night as there is no way of disabling the alarm according to the dealer.

Dealer never returned the wheel lock key, and failed to own up to this for 8 mths, until they were suddenly found, along with another set(!), after I refused to leave the dealership (my tires needed changing and I had 2 hours to kill).

Child locks button sometimes worked, amusing.

Electric windows buttons sometimes failed to work, could be fixed by stopping and restarting the car.

Cigar lighter socket which liked to pop out of the dash.

Extemely expensive services charges.

And who would design a family car without a spare wheel. I've had to call out family twice due to the wheel being torn due to rubbish. The puncture kit won't fix these. With an autistic child in the car this isn't funny!

So what can I say. First new car I've brought, but certainly the last Renault I'd ever own. Let down mainly the dealership and secondly the build quality.

Got a SAAB now, the difference is amazing.
Yes the Scenic II like a number of Renaults is let down by annoying niggles and poor after sales service by some Dealers, Renault needs to improve it's build quality and the after sales service is just to hit and miss depending on where you live.

Did you contact Renault Customer Services and raise your concerns that you had with the vehicle.

Wish you well with your new car.

Regards

Ottoman

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I

Not much use to you now, but when this happened with ours (before the bonnet catch was fixed) you could open the drivers door, press the central locking button inside the car next to the gear stick, then get out and close the drivers door - all doors locked, and no alarm activated.

Good luck with your new motor though :) My dad used to have Saabs, and I always liked them, he had an (old) A reg Sabb 900 turbo that he was going to give to me when I was in uni, but the insurance and running costs would have been a killer on my poor student income :(

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Isn't it nice when someones first post is to publicly slaughter their recently disposed of Renault .... after all that's why we're all here eh :rolleyes:

Thanks for that :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not much use to you now, but when this happened with ours (before the bonnet catch was fixed) you could open the drivers door, press the central locking button inside the car next to the gear stick, then get out and close the drivers door - all doors locked, and no alarm activated.
Our alarm has been going off for no reason of late. I've just been out and tried the method you suggested but the car doesn't lock unless you press the door button or use the button on the card once you've closed the drivers door (it's a hands free system)

Does this still disable the alarm?

The alarm instruction manual is a waste of time - only one page in English!!

Cheers
Postie

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I don't have a problem at all with a post discribing the issues someone has had with their car prior to letting it go. It is relevant to have it on this forum as there will be people who will be able to relate to the issues and even sympathise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had my clio III for a year now which i bought brand new and the clutch has burnt out already because of the clutch slipping renault has told me that i was covered on my warranty and now they are saying that im not and that i have to get a new clutch and gearbox for my car. Renault told me that a new clutch would cost me £1000 and now they are saying that a new clucth and gearbox would cost £790 i feel as if they are trying to find problems so that im not covered on my warranty. They are now trying to blame everything on driver error. I will never buy a renault again and definetly wont tell people to buy a renault The car has been crap since ive got it and the dealership are rubbish and are rip off merchants. The problem is the white flag has come out of the bonnet to surrender stupid french cars.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I think several points arise from this thread.

We all welcome discussion about good and bad points on our cars, all info is helpful to someone and, if posted in time, a cheap and effective solution is often available leading to many years of happy ownership. However, sometimes you can get a dog (with any marque). No amount od suggestions will suffice in such cases and it may end up as a more economically viable solution to sell the car and start again. we are not affiliated to Renault and many members no longer own Renaults, so as a forum are not in a position to villify members who have had a bad experience.
My personal experience of cars is that at some stage they go wrong, all of them, and normally at the worst time.

I have had Fords with gutless engines and bonnet catch problems, all of which developed leaks causing to problems with lights, a VW that had an annoying habit of the wiper mechanisim coming adrift and a weak driveshaft, Minis - great car but who thought putting the dizzy cap behind the grill was clever in England and Renaults.

My experience of Renault is that with TLC and a good knowledge base they run well and have a nice, comfortable drive. But that is my opinion and whilst I may recomend a Renault I would not force my opinion on them.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Reality check needed!

I used to work in Ford UK's Customer Service Division (dealing with out-of-warranty issues, recalls, and goodwill assistance). Our Centre took 2,500 calls per day (from dealers & customers), and it was very easy to get a jaded and one-sided view of the product. However, I stood back from the situation, and realised that out of all the Fords on the road (this can be read for all makes), it was a very small percentage, that had developed a fault - a good number of times was down to owner ignorance/neglect.

Sure, there are rogue components - and in this day, when parts are shared more & more, it can affect whole product ranges, but all in all - progress has moved the game on from the "good old days" of points, grease nipples, manual chokes and 6,000 mile/6monthly service intervals.

I made a leap of faith and bought a Ford (a Ka Luxury), despite all the problems I knew about, the car served me well for 3.5 years & 88,500 miles - needing nothing more than tyres, rear silencer and a pair of rear shocks (one of which was paid by warranty). So much for all the 'problems'.

It is a very dangerous road to generalise/stereotype - usually self-defeating.

Paul:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hear hear. All makes have good and bad examples.

I know troublesome Renaults and good Renaults, troublesome VW's and good VW's etc.

For instance I bumped into an old work colleague the other day who's run a 2002 Laguna 1.9 dCi up to 130,000 miles without a single major problem (the odd electrical screw-up but that's it). Yet talking to some people, these cars are almost guaranteed to fail and you should never buy them.

If I'd listened to half the pretty knowledgeable people I knew, I would never have bought the Scenic. Or the Mondeo. Or the Fiesta. Or the Cavalier.....

Everyone knows someone who's had a bad experience. Few people mention good ones.

Cheers
Postie

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told many years ago, NEVER buy a new car. Always buy 2nd hand so that some other sucker has all the problems sorted before they get rid of it .......

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Yes, all valid comments we have all had bad experiences at one time or another with our cars. Every manufacturer has there good and bad models, and I think the problem mainly is whether or not the dealer can sympathise with you and act when faults occur. Most bad comments on this site seem to be with shoddy dealers, or should it be stealers as someone often says. I recently had a new Citroen Picasso which I got rid of because of wheel/tyre problems. Guess what, the dealer was completely useless. Anyway I sold it, and as Snowdrop mentions bought a second hand Renault. So the advice given is never buy new, and that certainly is my motto from now on. Incidentally I had problems with a Renault dealership but went to another one, which was part of the same group and bingo they were brilliant.
Good after sales service wins every time.
Normc3943

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Its a cracking deal which gets you through the door in the first instance - but its what happens afterwards which determines how long you keep returning (and whether you smile or frown when doing so).

I've found that After-sales is the most under-resourced and appreciated part of the dealership function.

Paul:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts