Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a renault megane 1.6 1996 i replaced the engie in it with a new 1 from a scrap yard, and every thing has been fine with it, but the other day when i drove 20-25miles on a very hot day, the car over heated, and died on me, i letit cool off and then started it, and it was fine.

but to day, it was kinda hot i guess, the car just died when i came up to a roundabout and braked, the oil/petrol/water level light flickerd just before it died, i just started it again, and it was fine. and this keep happening to me, it feels tototaly random.

if any 1 has any idears how to stop/fix this problem please post here, thanks for your time

Lawrence

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If all coolant systems are working OK the engine shouldn't overheat. It sounds very much like you have a loose electrical connection which may be fafing around. I suggest you check all batery and engine electrical connections. If your engine continues to overheat it probably won't last long:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not overheating, its just cutting out, iv looked into hte problem and it could possbily be that the engie isnt revving high enought to maintain the car, thus cutting out, thus cutting out wen breaking up to a T juction/roundabout, the overheating, was just a 1 off thing, as i think the fan didnt come on 1 time for some unknown reason but its be ok sience, thanks for your feedback, but i really think its got summit to do with the rev's mabye i sohuld take it to a renault garage and have the computer checked?

any idears how to change idel speed?

ty law

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The idle speed cannot be altered - it is controlled by the ECU so it looks like some of the engine sensors or their connections are duff. If the fan failed to cut in once it could be a sign of a faulty sensor. When working at cars it is always best to retrace any work carried out recently.
A car running correctly shouldn't overheat - even once:)

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Classic TDC sensor issue causes cutting out. Maybe try a search of the forums as see if the symptoms seem similar with your car. Definetely what noel said though, check all your electrical connections, and the "once only overheating" sounds a bit dodgy too TBH :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so does any 1 have any idears, how i could check all these "sensors" or any thing close to that,

also if the fan didnt come on 1 time, it would cause hte car to over heat, then turn off right, so by the fan now coming on as usal, it shoundlt be a problem, right??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts