Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have just joined in the hope that someone can give me some ideas as to why my autobox keeps going into safety mode,i think it is electrical but don't really know how to diagnose,any help would be much appreciated.the car is 1997 safrane 2.5 exec auto.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Bit of a tough one as autos have an awful lot of components that can, and often do, go wrong.

The first thing I would check is the ATF level and also the colour of the ATF, it should be a red colour and not be particulate or smell burnt.
Also make sure there are no ATF leaks.

If thats all ok it could be a sensor or solenoid thats faulty and you will probably need to get to a garage that has diagnostic equipment. A main dealer tends to charge about £80 an independent around £20 - £30

·
Registered
11 Posts
Might be worthwhile checking the connection between the gearbox 'brain' and the cable that runs down to the 'box itself.
There are several cables in this loom and as the gearbox is electrically governed it could be related to this.

It has also been known for a bad earth to cause the 'box to drop into safety mode, get the car on a ramp and take a peek underneath.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts