Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cam belt has gone on my husband's car and he's going to fix it. To get the right head gasket, timing belt, etc, he needs to know what engine he's got. How can he find out? He's got an 03 Renault Megane Scenic Fidji, 1.6, 16 valve.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
Re: What engine?

Autodata shows the K4M 700 engine used up til 2003.
If you call or make a visit to gsf car parts (dotted about all over the UK) they will tell you from your registration number.

Has he stripped the head off yet?
Before ordering enything i would remove the head and see what you're up against.
Timing pin kit is a must on this engine!

Have a look at http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=734298#post734298 for a list of what you'll need

R

·
0 Posts
As Dan says it’s the 1.6 K4M engine in your Scenic.

When the timing belts go on these engines because the valve stems are so weak they just get bent out of the way causing little other damage. The chances are that most of the valves are likely to have got bent.

I'm working on a 2003 Scenic at the moment that I bought with a snapped timing belt it has the 1.4 K4J which is almost the same as your 1.6 K4M the main difference between the 2 engines IIRC is the length of the piston stroke.

I have just bought everything I need to repair a 1.4/ 1.6 engine for £137 that’s a timing belt kit, Head bolts, Head gasket kit & 16 valves. I didn’t pay for P&P as they are not to far from me.

I have used Trechii on several occasions for cylinder overhaul kits and they are one of the cheapest suppliers. I have never had never any problems with their parts

http://www.trechii.com/products.asp?cat=274

As well as using a TDC setting pin and cam shaft locking bar it's advisable to use a cam shaft sprocket holding tool if removing the cam shaft sprockets. If your engine doesn't have VVT which means you won't have a dephaser pulley then it will be possible to remove the upper cylinder head cover with out removing the cam shaft sprockets. Thought the sprockets will have to be removed from the cam shafts to replace the cam shaft oil seals.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Highly recommend that you also replace the water pump and aux belt / tensioner etc. The water pump is driven off the timing belt, and many users have experienced water pump failure shortly after fitting a new belt. Which is tragic.

Please note that Recycled Scenic's excellent link does not include the timing belt kit (belt + tensioner + roller) or water pump.

You should budget for around £ 200 - £ 250 to include the water pump and timing tools (available from Ebay - look up "K4M tool"), sealant, oil, filter and coolant and other bits depending what you need.

You will need a decent torque wrench and torque angle gauge to fit the head bolts and crankshaft bolt. Also a set of external torx sockets and some offset ring spanners, as well as "normal" sockets etc.

Finally, you can get a valve grinding kit from Halfords for less than a fiver.

Marv

EDIT : Sorry Dan, missed your excellent linky.

R

·
0 Posts
Please note that Recycled Scenic's excellent link does not include the timing belt kit (belt + tensioner + roller) or water pump.
The timing belt kit cost me £47 from Trechii. They don't list every thing they sell on their website.

I already have a new water pump whch came with a timing belt & water pump kit I didn't use last year on my 1.4 Scenic which I bought with a snaped cam belt at 66,000 miles it was under the 70,000 mile service interval but at 9 years old was 4 years past the 5 year service interval . The water pump felt okay at the time and the car has now done 73,000 miles on the original water pump.

I have now repaired 4 Scenics which have suffered timing belt failure / guide roller collapse and whilst 3 of the cars where under the 70,000 service interval all 4 where past the 5 year service period.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As Dan says it’s the 1.6 K4M engine in your Scenic.

When the timing belts go on these engines because the valve stems are so weak they just get bent out of the way causing little other damage. The chances are that most of the valves are likely to have got bent.

I'm working on a 2003 Scenic at the moment that I bought with a snapped timing belt it has the 1.4 K4J which is almost the same as your 1.6 K4M the main difference between the 2 engines IIRC is the length of the piston stroke.

I have just bought everything I need to repair a 1.4/ 1.6 engine for £137 that’s a timing belt kit, Head bolts, Head gasket kit & 16 valves. I didn’t pay for P&P as they are not to far from me.

I have used Trechii on several occasions for cylinder overhaul kits and they are one of the cheapest suppliers. I have never had never any problems with their parts

http://www.trechii.com/products.asp?cat=274

As well as using a TDC setting pin and cam shaft locking bar it's advisable to use a cam shaft sprocket holding tool if removing the cam shaft sprockets. If your engine doesn't have VVT which means you won't have a dephaser pulley then it will be possible to remove the upper cylinder head cover with out removing the cam shaft sprockets. Thought the sprockets will have to be removed from the cam shafts to replace the cam shaft oil seals.
Hi, I have a 1.4 16v 2004 scenic and need to replace the engine. I have been offered a 1.6 16v engine. I know they are much the same so can I drop the 1.6 in with out any issues like ECU, management lights, error codes?? Any help appreciated, I'm finding it difficult to find a 1.4.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts