Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Im loooking for help advise and update on the problem relating to the 1.9 diesel turbo destroying itself and the engine.
I owned a 1.9 DCi scenic (late 2002) which spectacularily died on the M40 last week. Lost power and then it smoked and then it revved at full revs. Me, pregnant wife and 2 year old daughter bailed out, unfortunately didnt think to stall it as I just wanted to get the famIly safe. We watched as it revved itself to death.
I have seen postings regarding the yellow OTS for the turbo. The car is less than 5 years old, 60k miles, full renault service history and they replaced the EGR valve under warranty 2 years ago.
The car was recovered to a renault dealer who says it is uneconomical to repair!
How should I proceed? Does anyone have any information on the OTS?
Do I contact Renault Customer Service? Has anyone had recent experience with dealing with this issue?
Many Thanks for any advice
David.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums David.

Some info on the Renault OTS scheme.

The Yellow OTS covers the turbo/engine for 90K or 5 Years whichever comes sooner..

Click on the link below which you should find useful.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/search.html?searchid=416491

I would contact RCS as soon as possible giving as much info as possible.

Keep the Forum informed of your progress.

Hopefully another member can offer further advice.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I wil contact RCS tomorow and let the forum know how I get on.

Could you check the link you provided as it doesnt take me anywhere?

Many Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi,

Sorry about that if you just key in Renault OTS in the search facility button you should find some useful info.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

I think I need some further support and help with this one. RCS referred the issue to Renault head office and I had a call back today to say Renault accept no responsibility. Initially they said the dealer had informed them that there was no evidence of a manufacturing fault. On further interrogation (of the dealer) this statement applies to the engine, not the turbo. On challenging renault further they said there is no evidence of a manufacturing fault as the turbo is in many small pieces so they cant tell! I argued that they also couldnt be sure that there wasnt a manufacturing fault and given the history around this component, on a car that has full renault service history, the likelihood is that the failure was due to a defect. They also deny that there is a yellow OTS on this turbo. What next? Im thoroughly hacked off................

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone advise if there is or isnt a relevant Yellow OTS regarding the turbocharger on a 1.9 DCi scenic. Members say yes, Renault say no. Any help welcome

David

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a "Yellow OTS"?

The old school way to look after your Turbo was to let it cool down after motorway driving or high revs before shutting engine off. (let car tick over for about 30secs)

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts