Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought a 1.6 1998 Renault scenic its done 60,000 miles.I was driving it the other day and there was no hot air coming from the vents,then i noticed the temp gauge going up eventually it overheated with steam coming from the under bonnet.I checked the water level and there was none in there i unscrewed the cap slightly to let the pressure off and some water bubbled up back into the bottle.I put more water in and it was fine and the heaters worked ok again but now the temp is starting to creep back up, i cant see any water leaks underneath so im wondering if it could be a faulty radiator?

Any help would be great
thank you

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

If you haven't got a coolant leak then the cause of the over heating could be a blocked radiator though it might be a faulty thermostat or worse still head gasket failure.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I'd be tempted to whip the radiator out, and reverse flush it with a hose to see if any rubbish comes out.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info..Update today my wife broke down again the car just konked out in the middle of town and the electric warning light came on (the box with a jagged line in it)..Ive just towed it to the garage..could the to faults be related?

R

·
0 Posts
If it didn't over heat I would be inclined to think the 2 aren't related?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so we heard from the garage yesterday..Bad news the cambelt snapped.Im wondering what my chances are on just putting a new cambelt on it or will it have done serious damage?

P

·
0 Posts
I'm afraid that you will almost certainly have some bent valves, no way to know how many until the head comes off

R

·
0 Posts
I agree with Pat valve damage is 100% guaranteed in these 16 valve Renault engines once the engine timing has been lost. Service interval is 70,000 or 5 years which ever comes 1st and If I were a betting man I would say that is more than likely the case with your car?

This is what you are likely to find these are the valves out of a Scenic with a failed timing belt all the valves are bent even the ones in the back ground which look straight

If you are a competent DIY mechanic yes you should be able to remove the head yourself though you will need special tools to set the timing back up you should be able to buy most of the parts to repair the engine your self for under £200 I have used these several times now www.trechii.com they do a complete cylinder head overhaul kit for these 16 valve Renault engines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts