Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Scenic 1.9 dCI which runs OK, but the service light is on nearly all the times, with the mesage "Check Emission".

I have looked at the OBD system and found this error message:
Code: PO487
ECU: $7A Lightning
Description: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Throttle Position Control Unit

The engine is equipped with a ECR heat exchanger type. When taking of the solonoide the valve works quite OK

Do anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

Kinde regards osc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved

To anyone who have a semilar problem in diesel engines with a EGR heat exchanger type.

It turned out, that the EGR valve was faulty due to leak in the gasket between the exhaust gas chamber and the activating solonoid. This resulted in dirty contact for feedback of the activating solonoids position, which caused the error message.

Replacing the EGR (part no 7701067308) for £200 solved the problem. The heat exchanger part is simply placed on the new EGR. For this you need two gaskets - price £60.

A part from the above spare parts it is useful to have French mecanics arms - thisn and very flexibel - to replace the EGR in a Scenic.

Hopefully somebody can use this information

Kind regards
Ole

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry - the solonoid is not the source of the problem - the real problem is the gasket on the valves itselwes, which cannot be replaced. The dirt travel from the exhaust through the faulty valve gasket into the solonoid housing and here makes it impossible to detect if the contacts are closed or open.

The is only way to fixed the problem is find the £260 and buy the parts described. This is the problem with modern cars, they are designed to be fixed by replacing parts not repairing parts.

kind reagrds
Ole

·
Registered
5 Posts
managed to find a egr valve on ebay. my car has the same valve as a vauxhall movano. £55 brand new :)
however i did strip the old egr. the contacts are as poor. no wonder they corroded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fault code describes the fault as a back pressure provlem caused be the dpf and fap. iv had the egr problems before but the message was differant and a strip down and clean of the egr solved it.
Would be surprised if this was a similar issue?.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts