Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Renault Scenic 1.9 DCI

The electronic fault warning light (also heater plug on light) intermitently comes on with no apparent problem.

The light will stay on from 10 seconds to 60 seconds say.

It always seems to come on when driving up an incline then goes off after the top is reached or it comes on when you throttle then goes off when you release the throttle.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Your symptoms match those of a small boost pressure leak in the turbo system or a fault in the boost control system,but ideally you need to have the fault codes read with a decent Renault specific scanner and that should point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked the turbo hoses, they're all secure. The throttle response has not changed, should I just ignore this then?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I definately wouldn't ignore it,you need to have the fault codes read at the very least,sorting it out now will probably save you money and hassle in the long run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the garage and paid £40, they printed out the following;

Connect to sun scanner and read ecu memory for faults, intermittent fault stored with egr valve flow p 1826, cleared fault from system and reset, no fault present on road test, customer to monitor, if fault returns a new egr valve will be required.

The electronic fault warning light still comes on when you throttle, then off when foot is off throttle.

What is a egr valve and how much is it? Where is it situated, i.e. is it in a tricky place?

The garage estimated £500, but this includes changing front brake pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Connect to sun scanner and read ecu memory for faults, intermittent fault stored with egr valve flow p 1826, cleared fault from system and reset, no fault present on road test, customer to monitor, if fault returns a new egr valve will be required.

The electronic fault warning light still comes on when you throttle, then off when foot is off throttle.

What is a egr valve and how much is it? Where is it situated, i.e. is it in a tricky place?

That seems a lot,when the egr valve probably needs just a clean as they coke up round the port,as mine did lost power up hill ,light would come on ,so maybe clean it first ,see if that works ,some usefull threads on here if u type in egr valve .

·
Registered
13 Posts

i have the exact same problem i to have a renault megane scenic 1.9dci 2001 and it to has the same fault. when im driving the the light comes on when i throttle and when i take my foot of the throttle it goes out did cleaning the EGR valve sort this any help with this or anyone who has had the same symtoms can you let me no how you sorted this fault another thing i have noticed is that the trip computer does not work when i push the button on the stork
many thank's to all....

·
Registered
13 Posts
HI i to have a renault scenic 2001 1.9dci dynamique+
and i have the same problem with electrical warning light on the dash as i accelerate hard the warning light comes on and if i take my foot off the light goes out , it to doesnt stay on around about 10 secs to 60secs its like if i hit a hill theres no power i have to go through the gears some times going into 3rd gear to get up a smallish hills does this sound like the EGR valve the car drives ok not lumpie would taking of the EGR valve and maybe cleaning it fix this or would a new one be needed .
has any one at all had the same symptoms as what i had and if so how did you fix it
many thank's to all hope you can help me....

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I had the same problem too on a 16 month old Laguna Mk2 (2.2) with only 16k on the clock. :crazy:

Both the turbo & the EGR valve had to be replaced, fortunately for me this was all warranty work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds to me like you got a short somewhere you would need to get it plugged in to a obd2 computer to see what fault code it's registering :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for your replys I will remove the EGR valve and clean it to see if that fixes problem the person I bought the car from was a teacher so he used it for short journeys to and from work, I heared that diesels need to be booted give it a blast now and again

Also I seem to have a problem with the trip computer not working even when the engine is off and the ignition lights are on I can't seem to cycle through the trip computer
Anyone had problems with there trip computer on a Renault scenic 1.9 dci 2001 model

Also can anyone tell me what the difference is between Dci and DTi Renault scenic
Many thanks for all info....

·
Registered
13 Posts
done scan with rac scanner , i plupped it into the test port found no faults so im puzzled like i said it only happens when i try accelerate hard when i take my foot of the accelerator the light goes out so i think it might be EGR valve but no fault codes found....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same problem and renault told me its an electrical connector fault to the egr valve but when i disconnect the plug from the egr valve the light doesnt come on would it be possible to blank the egr valve and is there any side affects to blanking it off thanks for any help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi steve im glad im not the only one with this problem the good old forums helps , like i said i to have the same symtoms as you and what ive read about EGR valve it has somthing to do with the gass from the cylinders due to the tempture from the cylinders when driving , i no you can buy blanking plates but blanking it off i don't recommend i found this on Utube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGAFG4GOl7s

does your trip computer work at all cos i found my doesnt it wont even flip through the menu when i push the button on the wiper stork , even when the engine is off and the ignition lights are on i dont no if that has anything to do with that
i will take of the EGR valve and clean it cos looking at the pics it has 5 wires going to it so but ive found new ones on ebay

type this into ebay
Item number:
£60 new
good luck
steve.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem and renault told me its an electrical connector fault to the egr valve but when i disconnect the plug from the egr valve the light doesnt come on would it be possible to blank the egr valve and is there any side affects to blanking it off thanks for any help
Hi Steve your post on the renault forums I to have the same problems as you and I'm going to remove EGR valve and try cleaning it to see if that will solve the problem . One thing , does or did your your trip computer work cos mine doesn't when I push the button nothing happens even with the engine off and the ignition light on when it comes up with oil ok I push the button it goes to miles but nothing else could this be down to the egr valve .I have noticed that the EGR valve has 5 wires going to it so I'm abit puzzled
Many thanks....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi people here is a update on what has happened ,as you all I had some problems with my car the electrical fault warning light comes on while you accelerate going up hills if you take your foot of the throttle light will go out ok...
as I mentioned EGR valve changed that still the same made no difference what so ever took it to auto tune they ran a diagnostic on the car and found this......
heater plug circuit Renault fault code 1826
so he advise me to renew glow plugs , so I removed glow plugs cleaned them up they were covered in carbon oil I tested them by removing the glow plug and then disconnecting the battery using a wire (any type) placing the wire to the + of the battery and to the end of the glow plug (that's the end of which the wire was on) and then earth the plug if it heats up and sparks its a good plug tested all 4 all OK
scratching my head time........
the only thing left is the pre post heating control unit for the glow plugs this is located at the rear of the bulk head looks like a metal box that's the problem....
good luck

also I would like to add this I mentioned that my trip computer was not working found out 'Y' it was caused by a broken speed cluster (common fault on Renaults) got one from scrap yard with nice white dials of a rx4 model looks good + my trip coms working again...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts