Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Renault Megane Scenic 1.9Dci, the turbo went on it and i had it replaced only to find it was then overheating, replacing the thermostat solved this problem but now it is losing water and I dont know where it is going?
After filling the engine with water after replacing the new thermostat i came back from 180mile trip with no overheating problems to find the water bottle empty I removed the cap and the bottle filled back to half way with what i can best describe as frothy chocolate milkshake.
After seeing many mechanics all with different opinions on what it could be I checked it all out and found a split in one of the hoses which I replaced.
It is still doing the same and i have tried bleeding,checking the oil (and i am pretty sure it isnt getting into there as it shows none of the symptons), all pipes and hose clips, radiator and looked for hours for signs of an actual visible drip somewhere to no avail,
Now a few people have said it is the head gasket and I know this is a big expensive job so before I take it to have it done I would appreciate any other suggestions for me to try out.

By the way the car is driving perfect (not the slightest splutter), in fact its driving better than ever and there is no wetness coming from the exhaust, and since a recent flush of the engine the water has not returned brown but it is still being lost and it is losing it very slowly as well it probably takes 200 miles before i have to fill the bottle.

Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
In all honesty the water has to be going somewhere albeit at a slow rate - if getting into the engine and out via the exhaust at a really slow rate it may not be noticable in the exhaust gases. Have you checked around the radiator for small leaks as sometimes any slight leak can evapourate fairly quickly in the heat and air. Is there any anti-freeze in the system as when there is a leak it usually leaves a stain. One other possibility could be the heater matrix is leaking inside the car - have you checked that - they have atendency to leak very slowly at first and then Whoosh! If anti-freeze is in the coolant system you usually get a pong inside the car.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thankyou for your quick reply

I have put antifreeze in the system and checked the radiator but I will give it another once over at the weekend.
The heater matrix thing inside the car is a new suggestion to me and the heaters are not blowing as powerfully as they used too but there seems to be a lot of blowing (loud blowing sounds) from inside the dash, I presume this is where the heater matrix is located?
I will also check this out too at the weekend as i imagine it is a big job to remove the dash to get access as this is a task i have never yet performed.

Thanks again.
Mark.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Check the pollen filter because if it is blocked the air supply will be poor and cause the jeater blower motor to overheat and fail.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts