Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont know if this right part of forum to post it :confused:
have just bought a 98 scenic with a blowing exhaust...its blowing from the last joint before the back box..have been told that a garage can/will cut an extension piece to suit..is this true or am i better off getting a new back piece is so how much :confused:
any help much appreciated :)

S

·
0 Posts
Yep - it's possible for this to be done depending and exactly where the blow is. Just try going into a local independent garage - as long as you tell that's what you want doing, they might be able to do it for you. I've had this done on cars in the post without experiencing any problems. I've also had new, complete exhausts fitted that ruined the feel of the car completely, so it's worth giving it a try...

A

·
0 Posts
What you have been told sounds fine and would be cheaper than a new back box. The garage you went to could have told you to replace the whole back box .

However Exhaust system back boxes can fail due to corrosion at the welds.

Make sure you have a look at the underside of the car when it's up on the ramp and check the back box welds with your own eyes. Ask the fitter to show you where to look if your not sure.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
been checking online and can get a new back box for about £40..think ill opt for that.will probs save a load of hassle later :)

S

·
0 Posts
Laguna II Owner said:
However Exhaust system back boxes can fail due to corrosion at the welds
That's true. If it's round the weld you are stuffed...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
was under it yesterday in the rain checking.must have looked like a right numbnut :crazy:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turned out to be the middle section and back 1 so ended up paying £70 for them..m8 doing work so another £20 there..not bad for 90quid

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
faster than expected

got my scenic back from garage today after new exhaust..put my foot down very fast considering its only a 1.6 :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts