Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an R reg Scenic and have always noticed a sloshing sound coming from the passengers side but never though much of it.
Now it is leaking big time - about 2 inches of water in the footwell under both front seats, soaked carpets and water in the storage compartments in the back.
I have read several forums and they all appear to suggest its caused by a blocked drainpipe in the sunroof - when trying to remove this pipe and blow through to remove the blockage the pipe was stuck fast and would not come off - I am loath to take it to the garage as I am paying back a loan of £1,500 for a new transmission I had to have fitted recently.
Help please!!

Maggie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm the exact same - it's gone really bad recently with all the rain we've gotten.

I've got a suspicion that mine might be to do with the ariel - anyone know if that is possible? Reason I think that is I never had a problem with leaks, however one day I stupidly forgot to put down the ariel when going through a carwash and it got pushed back fairly far, almost breaking off. The next day during a heavy shower of rain I noticed a small trickle of water coming in through the interior lights.

It never did do that again though so I thought nothing more of it - but now that it's started to fill the rear compartments I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe yours is the same? Either that or like other poeple think it could be the sunroof drain pipe.

Let me know if you get yours sorted- might help me fix mine!

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Sloshing sound

Yeh - I've seen similar probs., in different types of cars over the years. Whilst the sunroof can leak it normally doesn't cause water ingress to this extent. I would check the air intake area for the heater (normally just in front of the windscreen) - this area will have drainage holes which tend to get blocked by leaves etc. When the water can't get away it flows through the heater air inlet down the back of the carpets and ends up runing towards the back of the car. If the car is fitted with a pollen filter you'll probably find its needs replacing. Remember if air can get into the cab so can water - always check the easy bits first. Let us know what happens. Unfortunately water ingress to this extent can cause aditional damage (rotted carpets, short circuits in wiring, etc) - get it sorted ASAP or you'll hit worse problems in the near future. Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

What I can't understand is how the drainpipe from the sunroof can effect the underneath of the front seats..where is the water coming out?

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If it is leakage from the sunroof it can run down either the front pillars or down the seatbelt guides (see if seatbelt is wet). Other causes are the arial (remove and reseal with silicone), or the rear light clusters or as noel says the air intake.

ps. no need to remove the drainpipes, just blow through from above or rod them with a flexible net curtain wire.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Fllode Carpets

Check the air intake first - its the most likely source - but as far as I know the drain pipes are routed down the front screen columns and drain either into the front air intake scuttle or in behind the front wheel arch liners. The water is gotta go somewhere and it will be to a wet area in the car such as I describe above. Is all else fails get a few gold-fish!:rofl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know what it's like where you are right now but here it is absoloutly bucketing down rain and I've had the car parked in it all day - I'm dreading getting into it after work now..... didn't bring any wellies!

I'm going to take a look at the air intake - cheers for that suggestion, and my ariel - hope for my shoe's sake it's one of them.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I managed to get the drainpipe off the sunroof but burst several blood vessels trying to blow through to clear the blockage - seems to be completely bunged up.
I may be being completely thick asking this..but where do I check for the "air intake"?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Margarets Aquarium

Hi margraet - the air intake for the heating ventilation system is directly in front of the windscreen - if you open the bonnet and look just below the wipers you will see a plastic cover with open mesh holes in it. You will need to remove this cover and have a look in - you will see some drain holes usually around the corners - poke them clear with a pice of wire and remove any other debris. To check it clear pour a kettle of fairly warm water and see if it runs out. In cold weather you should notice it running on to the ground - at this time of year you should be able to notice the steam rising, etc.
P.S. Waana buy a used pair of pink Barbie welly boots!:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that..I'd rather a pair of yellow ones if you have any, and a matching sou'ester.
I shall have a rummage around tomorrow and if I don't have any luck I'm sure a bonfire should dry it out nicely.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Leaks etc.,

:rofl: Sorry Maragret - we are all out of stock of wellies - would you be interested in a few plastic ducks or a couple of goldfish. Good Squelching:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hurrah!

Took car to garage after several attemps to 'do it myself' they put an air pump in the sunroof drainpipe and it exploded apparently!
Silt had collected and turned to concrete almost - they removed a couple of bungs and 2 galons of water came out - it has stopped the slooshing and hopefully once its dried out I won't have the problem again - only cost me £40 for labour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem as this with my 2002 Scenic. We have no sunroof though so where could this be leaking? I have removed the cover below the windscreen and all seems clear and dry but I may have missed something. Is it worth checking in the back to see if the leak is from there?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Leaky Leaky

Hi Poss. I see youv'e checked the inlet area in front of the bonnet - did you pour some water in to see if it was escaping quickly - when driving especially in heavy rain the water can come in quicker than it can escape (the least amount of blockage can cause probs). My next move would be to check around the rear lights as they are prone to leakage around the seals. You'll need to clear the boot area (carpets and all unnnecssary kit). Dry the area best you can then cover the floor area with a light sprinkle of talcum powder. Either hose the rear of the vehicle working from the bottom up ot wait the next bout of rain (that won't take long):d Any ingress of water should leave a clear mark on the talced area. If this doesn't help at least you've made the car smell nice.:) Let us know how things go!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Poured a bucket of water into the scuttle below the screen and it all drains via the holes at the sides and appears to come out below the car. Looked in back of car and all is dry. I removed the rear seats and the passenger seat and the floor is wet from the front foot well back to the cubby hole in front of the rear seats. We get a sloshing noise in the floor when stopping. Sounds like the water is rushing down the sills. If it is in the sill how does it get there and how do I get it out, short of drilling a hole in it?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The sound of sloshing water

Have you checked the drain pipes/hoses from the sunnroof/s. THe sills should ave drain holes - usually along the lower edge seam. Get down have a look and poke with a fine bit of wire.:) Better still why not give a few goldfish a home at least until simmer arrives.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have a sunroof, so that's not the problem. I'll check the sill drains. I couldn't find them originally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have finally found the drains for the sill. There is a bung under the underseal at the rear of the sill. Also if you look at the weld seam along the bottom there are 2 points where the inner side of the seam 'ripples'. Poke a thin piece of wire into these and keep them clear. When I removed the bung the water flooded out. Still don't know where it gets in but now it wont build up. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Dam buster

Well done POS did any goldfish emerge:d , The drain holes along the seam are quite small and need to be cleaned on a regular basis - just don't expect a garage to check this during a service. Did you replace the rubber bungs (grommets) - these bigger holes ar for injecting rust-proofing during manufacture. During the winter months it is possible for any water trapped inside to freeze up causing a blockage and things tend to escalate from there on. Hope all is well now but keep and eye on in case dirt inside swills about and blocks it again.
P.S. Have a look at the drainholes on the bottom of the doors as well - you never know!:)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts