Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I wonder if someone would please help me. I have a renault scenic, recently broke down on the motorway. Had a garage take my car in. Cam belt gone. He fixed that, said I needed 8 new valves, might aswell replace all 16. I agreed. Had the car back about a week. Started playing up again, called the garage back, he said he thought it was just mis-firing. Took the car back in, called me back a couple of days later saying it wasn't mis-firing but was burning oil and that they had fitted the incorrect valves. Would have to have the car for another week to change valves etc. Called me back a week later to say that actually after changing the valves etc it was still doing the same thing!!!!
He then said he was taking the cylinder for a second opinion and would call me back (after telling me that as a matter of course they check the cylinder to make sure it is ok after changing gaskit etc). Then turns out that 8 of the exhaust valves were damaged and that again it is worth changing all 16!
Another week later I am told actually it is the pisterns?? They have been changed and after 4 weeks I have my car back. Reconditioned engine, told not to exceed 3,000 revs or go over 60mph. Initial charge was £960, to get car back this time another £850!! My real question is:- has them putting the incorrect valves in in the first place caused the second lot of problems????
Really appreciate any advice I can receive. Thank you!

G

·
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear your tale of woe :( I would have thought that if the pistons/ piston rings had been damaged ? then that would have occurred when the cam belt first snapped.

I find it hard to believe that the 1st set of replacement valves weren't right? surley it would have been noticed on assembly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your input and kind welcome - so you don't think I have any comeback on garage - i.e wasn't their fault for secondary problem?? Query incorrect valves to start with?:crazy:

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear your tale of woe :( I would have thought that if the pistons/ piston rings had been damaged ? then that would have occurred when the cam belt first snapped.

I find it hard to believe that the 1st set of replacement valves weren't right? surley it would have been noticed on assembly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again thanks for your input - he claims to have taken the engine apart 4 times, obviously first time yes I willl accept, second and third he has not charged me, fourth time he has only to find out that it is the pistons!!
I have a real problem understanding how my car wasn't pulling back or emitting grey smoke from exhaust prior to the garage having my car in the first place and then taking four weeks to fix it!!! Rrrahhhh sorry really stressed about the whole thing!:mad:

G

·
He sounds like a bit of a Jackanory merchant to me. I would be pretty miffed too! A compression test should have given an indication to piston or valve problems

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am in the process of instructing solicitors to investigate for me - is this too strong or the right thing to do?? The guy has apologised to much and admitted too much for my liking and taken me for a ride as well I feel?

G

·
I'm a DIY mechanic and have now repaired 4 of these 16 valve Renault engines. I've never had that much trouble :confused: they aren't as straight forward to work on as some engines and a reasonable degree of mechanical competence is required.

The oil consumption does increase on some of these engines after having cam belt failure? I'm not sure why and can only assume that the oil rings must get very slightly damaged due to the impact of the valves striking the pistons. Though oil consumption is still usually within what Renault say is normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.