Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
I'm posting this hoping it may help other, I have had to repir both of my windows using kits bought on ebay and took these pics while doing it.

I hope the following helps others

Wll first you have to remove to door panel

Speaker and various screws need removing as well as the electrical window buttons and door release

Take note of where and how the door impact plastics sit, if you get it wrong it wrong the door panel wont sit correctly

Just push all the wiring looms into the recess to help you remove the panel, keep a note of which screw relates to speakers, door panel, and the door release etc.

Notice how the regulator hooks into the body work and is attached by two bolts

Remove these and unhook the wiring loom from the window regulator motor, no doubt you may have a mess of cables and broken clips at this stage, don't worry just remove the lot.

You'll have to remove the top part of the casing to get access to the cables, remove the old stuff, my kit came with a new wheel, clips for each end of the regulator bat and window slider and glass retainer clips.

*****Important bit****

Make sure you trace the other ends of the two cables back into the corner clips and sliding part that runs along the metal bar before winding the cables around the wheel!

It's tricky but you need to wind the cable (both ends with hook into the wheel) in opposite directions feeding the other ends through that metal casing (take note of the whits clips on the casing)

Notice how the sliding plastic part sits on the bar

Finished product

One you are at this stage you need to pull the cables tight, the two white clips on the outer metal casing covering the wheel are spring loade, two hands are better but i did manage it on my own, it needs a bit of strength to pull them tight, i removed the two clips (they just slide off) and sliped them back on when pulling them tight, you'll understand it once you see it.

Obviously putting it all back it just the reverse.

I may tweak this post later (have two naughty kids pestering me)

Hope this helps others to save some cash

My kit was bought outside of the UK on Ebay but was top notch when I rec'd it.

Good luck, hope this helps someone else

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Scenic Mk 1 - How to -Electric Window regulator repair with pics

This post is beautifully done. I had considerable trouble uploading pictures to "TDC sensor with pictures" thread. I would love to know how these pictures and text were placed on thIs thread.
My window mechanism is different. It uses a rack and pinion system. The plastic part fixed to the rack has broken on driver's and passenger's front, and one rear. Thats 3 out of four I've repaired in only 30,000mls
Ernie

P

·
0 Posts

This post is beautifully done. I had considerable trouble uploading pictures to "TDC sensor with pictures" thread. I would love to know how these pictures and text were placed on thIs thread.

Ernie
You need to download vBulletinImg from the toolbar on the left of the page. Once you have done this you can copy the open image on your PC, it will give you a link to paste into the text in the appropriate place :)

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hi erniefoster, before I posted the pics, I used a freeware program called PhotoResize400 just google that phrase (all one word) and you will find it.

It will automatically resize your pictures, you just drag and drop your pic folder over the icon, thats it! ?

The prog will size your pics at 400 x something (cant recall now) to get slightly bigger pics you rename the file (the programs icon, press F2 or right click and choose rename) changing the number at the end I renamed the file 'PhotoResize800' and got pics 800 x 597.

Why bother? Well I had so many it was taking forever to send to site, took seconds after I did the above :d

I just used the paperclip icon on my posting to browse my desktop, find folder and add the pics

Hope that helps

R

·
0 Posts

Well done chrisstew a really good post there :)

The kit I used which came from Turkey when I repaired my window didn't come with new plastic clips for the window riser channel! :( and 1 of them was broken so I made one from a piece of steel which I welded to the top of the riser channel

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

Hi erniefoster, before I posted the pics, I used a freeware program called PhotoResize400 just google that phrase (all one word) and you will find it.

It will automatically resize your pictures, you just drag and drop your pic folder over the icon, thats it! ?

The prog will size your pics at 400 x something (cant recall now) to get slightly bigger pics you rename the file (the programs icon, press F2 or right click and choose rename) changing the number at the end I renamed the file 'PhotoResize800' and got pics 800 x 597.

Why bother? Well I had so many it was taking forever to send to site, took seconds after I did the above :d

I just used the paperclip icon on my posting to browse my desktop, find folder and add the pics

Hope that helps
In this case,I loaded all the images using the vbulletin thingy as they were only attatched and could be lost.It took a while to load all of them on here but I think the effort was worth it.:)

Thanks again for a great post.:)

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Cool, thanks Lagdti, I didn't realise, many thanks

Chris

PS

I stripped and cleaned the EGR on this car today, they cost over £200.00 to replace, Most Renault dealers seem to take the easy option and just swap them for a new one, took loads of pics, cleaned and tested motor, will show you how and post soon for anyone who needs access and how to test, may save someone a few quid!

Knowledge is power:d

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good description and pictures. Great patience is required when placing the cables around the drum:devil:.
Better this than paying garage charges for repair.

I also obtained the parts from e-bay, which came from Turkey.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a note to say that Renault now agree to change regulators for £80....OK still dearer than a DIY jobby but a lot less than £300 if your a DIY cluts....

This applies to Scenics less that 7 years old (No mileage max)

·
Registered
1 Posts
can i just ask im new hear im looking for info for my dads scenic as his window on the drivers side seems to sound like its grinding when you try to put the window up and wont go up with out you helping it up any help would be great ive looked at the repairs but cant find if this is correct to what the problem is cheers kirky

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just did today, I'm hopeless with cars but your excellent guide saw me through! :d

I noticed in your photos a yellow clip not fitted. Mine was white and I never worked out where it went either lol but it works so I'm well chuffed. If any1 knows where that clip goes maybe it would help future members.

Thanks for such a useful post Chrisstew :hug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
just read your very helpfull article about the window regulator.Did you wind the cables on to the drum whilst it was still atached to the motor?and did you attach the cables to the centre plastic clip first, and route around the outer 2 plastic clips before winding around the drum?.I ahve tried this but the cables seem to get very twisted and spring off the drum when I try to fit the whole assembly into the steel hoilding frame. I can only assume you have several pairs of hands on each arm!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Christew,just read your very informative thread on the window regulator.I have the same problem with a clio,the fittings look exactly the same as your scenic.Can I ask you which way round did you connect the cables. Did you fix to the centre plastic clip and route the cables around the outer clips before winding around the drum?and was the drum attached to the motor assembly? I have tried this method but end up with the cables horribly twisted and tending to jump off the drum.If you did this by yourself I can onle assume you must have several pairs of hands on each arm!. Many Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
The yellow clip goes on the back side of the nubbins that goes through the glass.
Many thanks to the OP.
Could not of managed without the pics.
Just finished doing this, hardest part was pulling the two white clips taught.
And just what is that black sealant stuff ? got it all over myself :)

Keith

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanx for an excellent guide,have just fixed my inop' drivers window by replacing motor with winder from a rear window,such fun,but worth the effort,as a relay prevented the window was not opening,now it does

1 - 20 of 22 Posts