Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my 2004 Scenic II has developed a CLunk in the steering.

when sat static, if you turn the wheel away from centre there is a CLUNK type noise, sounds a bit like a spring moving. It happens either way just away from centre.

It happens when static, and slow speed, but stops at high speed

any ideas? strut top mount?

O

·
0 Posts
Re: clunk?

Top bearing.
Grab the spring and get the steering wheel turned. You'll feel the spring clunk and boing.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

thanks, I will have to see if I can find a way of holding the spring while the wheel is turning, not sure i want to squeeze my arm through the gap in the wheel well

O

·
0 Posts

You should easily be able to get your arm in there, unless you're Popeye?:d

It's even possible to turn the steering yourself at the same time if you get in the right position.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

ha, don't think i can manage that, i will employ an assistant

I have had a very small tiny noise for around 12 months, but yesterday it got a lot louder, and only happens just away from centre both ways, sounds like a strut/spring creaking when turning the wheel

O

·
0 Posts

That's it, exactly what I get too. Changing the bearings is on my to do list.

Mine is noisy now going over bumps too and I'm sure it is affecting the steering as the car seems too content to go in a straight line even if I want to make small adjustments. It's a bit like it's on rails.

Not a very relaxing or assuring drive because of it.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

ok

had a better look today

with wife in car, turning wheel left and right, i checked both front springs. now i as she turns from centre, both judder, and i can feel it with my hand

now what suprised me, is that the springs themselves actually turned as the wheel turned? is this correct? I assumed the spring should stay static

O

·
0 Posts

The spring should turn, that's what the top bearing is for. Otherwise the spring would wind up each time you turned.

If it clunks, catches or boings, its a seized bearing. Best to replace.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

ok thanks, its just something i had never spotted. I assumed the bearing was to allow the strut to move fwd/aft, and sideways, not to rotate, but you learn something every day

now, to order 2 new bearings, and change em

any one done them? any top tips

I read in the haynes manual, that the normal spring compressors are not suitable.

O

·
0 Posts

I assumed the bearing was to allow the strut to move fwd/aft, and sideways

I read in the haynes manual, that the normal spring compressors are not suitable.

You wouldn't want the strut moving all over the place. :d

Does Haynes say why normal ones are not suitable? What does it suggest to use?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts

I have the hook type compressors

"You should also remember that RenaultForums does not under any circumstances allow the reproduction of copyrighted material. This includes, but is not restricted to:
a) PDF documents such as Dialogys files
b) Screen prints from commercial software
c) Information from copyrighted pages on other web sites
d) Pirated software
e) Scans of printed documents
f) etc. etc.

Please do not circulate copyrighted material anywhere on RenaultForums. This includes public areas of the forum and private messages (PMs)
We can not stress highly enough how important it is that this rule is not broken"

O

·
0 Posts

If you have used your compressors before, you should be OK to use them on the Scenic. I suspect that Haynes felt the purchase on the spring was not reliable, possibly slipping around the coil, which applies to any spring.
The cupped ones spread the load.

The page you have scanned shows how to dismantle the strut, so will include the top bearing.
Easy innit.:d

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

indeed
I used them on a rear spring only last month, when the car failed the MOT for a broken rear sping. Mind you, they did not compress the rear spring much

I have ordered 2 top mounts, so next weekend, I will have a go, and let you know how I get on:crazy:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

well I did not get far, set about changing them this morning. Car on jacks, wheel off the offside, then hit a brick wall straight away. Cannot get the drop link off. the nut came 3/4 way off then siezed, and now the allen key centre hole is round!

so, i have conceded for today, ordered some new links. I will be angle grinding the links off next week when they arrive, and fit two new ones

on looking at the top of the struts, the top nut on the strut looks as rusted, and i fear I may be in for some fun trying to remove them:(

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, attacked these today. Had to remove the drop links at the bottom end, and remove them with the strut, then angle grind off the top nut on the bench

changed both top mount bearings in around 3 hours. Only real issues were the drop links, and the strut lower bolts, which were chuffing tight.

now i have no noises from the steering, and yes my normal spring compressors did the job ok

O

·
0 Posts
Good job, I'll be sorting mine out soon. First, just got to fix the wiper arms, again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad I found this thread as I am experiencing the same symptoms on my Scenic.

I usually carry out home mechanics on my motorbike so having turned my attention to the car I'd like to be sure of ordering the correct parts.

Euro Car Parts shows this part to be what I need for my 06 Scenic Oasis 1.5dCi 106bhp. From the wealth of experience that no doubt exists on this website can you confirm that is indeed the correct part and the cost is appropriate (or can it be sourced cheaper elsewhere). I also assume that as it is a kit, it will be the bearing for each strut?

Cheers,
Ali

1 - 17 of 17 Posts