1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I own a scenic 2003 1.9dci newshape.

Can anyone help??

I have a boot open warning on the computer dash. The boot won't lock/catch. I can't lock my car with remote. I have fastned boot lid with a shoe lace. It will only allow me to drive car if I put the remote card in slot, and when I do drive it all the interior lights stop on. Does the central lockin need reseting and how???. The problem might have been created as I got out the car with the engine running as wife was driving but the key remote was in my pocket and she siad the computer gave a warning key card not detected she just switched the engine off.

Hope this makes sense please help.

James

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Hi James, I do not think the problem is related to the keycard. I suspect it is to do with the sensor that sences if the boot is fully closed , or not. An unable to advise where sensor is located.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it might stem from the bootcatch not catching, would this cause the whole central locking to fail. It does make a clickclunk noise but does not lock the doors. I,ve got it booked in at the garage for next thursday but its a real pain not being able to lock it, and its a bank holiday was suppose to be gong climbing boo hoo. My poor wife has had to put up with my cussing (french sh*te etc).

I just wish I could lock it as mentioned I can fasten the boot shut with a shoe lace.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Any Ideas anyone please>>>

James

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: scenic doors not locking

I think it might stem from the bootcatch not catching, would this cause the whole central locking to fail. It does make a clickclunk noise but does not lock the doors.
James
I know this is an old thread - with no resolution, but today it happened to me. "Me2"

Mine's an 09 Scenic II (one of the last) and today (for the second time) the boot refused to latch shut. As a result, the doors will not lock (I get the clickclunk, but still not locked). I also have a warning on the dash "Boot open" and a beep every few seconds while I'm driving. I didn't notice if the interior lights stayed on, as it was very bright sunshine today :sunny:

I stopped and poked around a lot at the latching mechanism, with no result. The rotating hook in the boot lid moves freely, but doesn't catch closed. When I drop the boot lid there's no satisfying clunk, just a clack sound.

Anyway, I drove home and emptied the shopping out of the boot, and still no locking available. The whole car is insecure! :eek:

On the phone, and of course it's lunch time Saturday, so none of the dealers can help me until Monday, when I've to call back to book an appointment. :mad:

An hour later, and it automagically works once more. Was this the heat? Was it a gremlin? Was it just a bad day? As I say, this is the second occasion this has happened, as my wife now tells me that when I was in hospital and she was visiting, she had to leave the car unlocked in the car park, but didn't want to worry me at that time. :crazy:

The car is less than a year old, and still under warranty. But the fault has gone away, so the dealer won't do anything. What does the panel think? Is there a simple fix, or is it a computer/electronic glitch? Hope someone can help please.

Ian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: scenic doors not locking

I know this is an old thread - with no resolution, but today it happened to me. "Me2"

Mine's an 09 Scenic II (one of the last) and today (for the second time) the boot refused to latch shut. As a result, the doors will not lock (I get the clickclunk, but still not locked). I also have a warning on the dash "Boot open" and a beep every few seconds while I'm driving. I didn't notice if the interior lights stayed on, as it was very bright sunshine today :sunny:

I stopped and poked around a lot at the latching mechanism, with no result. The rotating hook in the boot lid moves freely, but doesn't catch closed. When I drop the boot lid there's no satisfying clunk, just a clack sound.

Anyway, I drove home and emptied the shopping out of the boot, and still no locking available. The whole car is insecure! :eek:

On the phone, and of course it's lunch time Saturday, so none of the dealers can help me until Monday, when I've to call back to book an appointment. :mad:

An hour later, and it automagically works once more. Was this the heat? Was it a gremlin? Was it just a bad day? As I say, this is the second occasion this has happened, as my wife now tells me that when I was in hospital and she was visiting, she had to leave the car unlocked in the car park, but didn't want to worry me at that time. :crazy:

The car is less than a year old, and still under warranty. But the fault has gone away, so the dealer won't do anything. What does the panel think? Is there a simple fix, or is it a computer/electronic glitch? Hope someone can help please.

Ian
anyone had any update for this as i have this problem today. boot don't shut, no nice clunk but no obstruction.
how did you get on at the garage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI All,
Same problem here, started 3 days ago! Boot wonf lock so whoile car wont lock. All courtesy lights stay on as does the warning light on the dash.

I am assuming the lock iteslf might have gone? Wonders if replacing the lock will work?

Any ideas, or anyone found a resoloution?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
in the end we got the can of WD40 out. gave it plenty of spray and then jiggled the lock mechanism around with a key. seemed to do the trick. its happened a couple of times now, cos of the cold i believe, and this method has sorted it each time.
also happened to one passenger door when it got extremely icy.
hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just had this same problem for the second time since the Dec 2010 cold snap. The tailgate is opened routinely, then won't catch shut or lock, which means the whole car is stuck unlocked.

What worked this time was this:
1. Yes, plenty of WD40 into the lock catch.
2. With the tailgate open, I could work the lock manually, pushing the catch round with the stem of a screwdriver. This doesn't fix it but helps to know that it's not jammed and moves freely. An indication of the problem was that it wouldn't stay in the locked position.
3. With the tailgate up, looking up at the catch, there is a little slot above and to the right of the main catch mechanism, through which you can see a flat lever about 8mm wide. WD40 into this slot also.
3. I found that, once WD40'd, moving the lever to the right (using a slim screwdriver or key) operated the actuator. This seemed to be the problem.
4. operate the car locks a few times using the key and open the tailgate with the door button to check it works now.
I found that once it had operated once, it was fine after that.
This problem seems to happen just after a spell of freezing weather.

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Andy for your comments, I will try that!

However The problem I have now is that the tailgate has locked but it wont open! I can hear a click when I press the button on the tailgate but it stays locked!

How on earth do I open it? I am assuming its going to be a climb inside job and dismatle the thing!

Cheers

Colin

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a boot locking issue where the boot wouldn't lock and cosequently the whole vehicle is insecure as described above. Totally fed up with this vehicle and all it's failures I forgot to go back to basics. Oiled (WD40) lock mechanism, which when boot is open is at head height. inserted a narrow screwdriver into hole in locking mechanism and pushed it from left to right a few times. Lock freed and began working again. Many Thanks for the advise it worked a treat!! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this is an electrical problem, my renault Scenic has this problem, the car does not recognize that the trunk is closed, so no door closes. I had to manually close it by pressing the lock button for 10 seconds and then closing the doors. I don't know what to do to solve the problem, maybe take it to an auto electrical store and see how many dollars it will cost.
Mine has another problem, the rear door screen doesn't lock anymore because the car accuses that the trunk is open, I'll have to tie it with tape and pray that no one will steal the car.

Has anyone managed to solve the problem just by replacing the lock with a new one?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,270 Posts
First thing to check
Open the tailgate, look at the Left hand hinge, see that rubber tube.
Inside here is the wiring
It's a favourite place for the wires to break.
Fold the rubber boot back and see if any wires are broken,

·
Super mod..
28,368 Posts
First thing to check
Open the tailgate, look at the Left hand hinge, see that rubber tube.
Inside here is the wiring
It's a favourite place for the wires to break.
Fold the rubber boot back and see if any wires are broken,
Yep no power to the lock =no lockie.. (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm having the same problem now

I've a 07 Grand Scenic, the boot lock started giving trouble a few weeks back it wouldnt close but the open boot light on the dash did not come on and after a week after pressing the boot release button on the boot it sorted itself out

Yesterday it started again except this time the boot open light is on and it beeps every so often.

The central locking will not work but i can lock the doors with the key

I've tried the WD40 and pressing the button and all the other tricks and its still not working

I need to know what parts i need to replace, if i buy the lock on ebay or from a scrap yard is that enough to sort the problem or do i need anything else, i've seen a video on youtube with a white motor for the locking mechanism does that come with the boot lock as well or is that a separate part.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts