Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Have just joined after purchasing my very first Renault Scenic 2001 plate car. Purchased from a trader in Staines/Ashford border.
It is a Y plate and a lovely looking car, 85000 on the clock and very clean inside and out. But alas, only had it for 2 days and started having problems.
Driving it home with kids in the car, kids being kids, one of them decided to test his electric window, it went down fine but then we couldn't get it to go back up, at this point the stomach started sinking, managed to get it back up using one of the buttons near steering wheel, no manual at this point so pure luck managing to do it.
Next morning, feeling a little more confident started car up fine and sat in car with it running to familiarise myself with all the various buttons and finding out what they do. I noticed the car was juddering a lot and it seemed like it wanted to cut out altogether, thought nothing more as not used to a manual car, have driven automatic for last 3 years. Continued to drive, clutch seemed a little spongy but again thought nothing of it as not driven manual for a while.
Next day, started car, failed to start first time, second time fine, pulled off and emmissions light comes on and car starts to lose a little power, pulled over and turned car off, had a think and then drove home to find manual I had downloaded and printed out. Had a little panic (all my savings went on this car and live in a rural area), then drive round to my local garage who have always been brilliant and not overpriced on anything.
So spoke to mechanic and he agreed to come out and take a look under bonnet for me, he checked the coils and after testing them told me they were faulty, then he said the engine sounded like a diesel and the tapping noise coming from it was not normal, the way the engine was thrashing about looked like it was going to shoot out of the car, he told me to take it back to the dealer as in his opinion the car was not roadworthy and dealer should make it good or give me my money back.
Up until this point I was calm-ish, I had the kids sitting in the back of the car all excited about an impending day out at beckonscott in their new car.
So drive away and had really bad attack, chest pains, breathlessness, had to pull car over, suffer from a condition called LBBB where part of my heart is dodgy (cleared to drive though by consultant and doctors unless I feel unsafe to drive and would never drive if bad because of kids and other on the roads). Burst into tears and just felt as though grounds had opened up and swallowed me.
Kids dad called the dealer as I felt unable to without using lots of obscene language which just would not have helped and he said to bring car straight back.
Kids dad drove car back to Staines and it has been there since Thursday just gone (24th). Spoke to dealer and he said they had changed the coils which had solved the juddering problem but that it still sounded rough and the tapping from engine was still there, they were going to run an oil flush through or sounded something like that.
Sat morning called again and he said it hadn't solved the problem and that they were now looking at the 'Cam shaft'? (don't know what that is) and he will call me today (Mon) to update me. He did offer my my car back(i traded a toyota lucida and a large sum of cash) as an interim t get my about but to be honest I just don't have the money to get myself and the kids to Staines from here and then pay out for more fuel for the car to get me home, not til end of week anyway.
So there you go, am still unsure if buying a renault scenic was the best idea, after reading some of the forums it gives me a bad feeling but am trying to be optimistic. Time will tell.
Have a feeling they aren't going to be able to sort the problem and I will be back to square one, am ready to quote trading standards etc.. at him as these problems didn't make themselves known until day after I purchased car so know I am within my rights to ask for full refund ( i think)
Well if you are still here, thanks for reading, it felt good to vent a little.
Ernie x

P

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ernie, not a very nice way to start with your Renault.

It sounds as if your dealer is one of the better ones though and is willing to rectify your issues for you :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
Still not got car back, they have replaced the engine retard timing unit, all the coils, 16 valves and a head gasket.
Now just have to wait for them to test drive it and then I can have it back. The dealer said he didn't want to let me have it back until he was sure it was ok.
Frustrating not being with a car though, I have an autistic son and I myself have a heart condition which means I can't walk long distances (I live in a rural area) so really need my car.
Hopefully my car will be healthy and come back to me on Monday.
Then I have to get it through an MOT next month - oh the joys - love the car though and the space inside.

P

·
0 Posts
Then I have to get it through an MOT next month - oh the joys - love the car though and the space inside.
Ask the dealer to MOT it while he has it...you don't have to wait until the due date ...... and while he's in the mood for fixing things ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha, I did not think of getting him to MOT it as well, good thinking.

It is the 2.0 Dynamique and I bet he is cursing the day he ever sold me that car as I am not the sort to just sit back, he must have about 4 texts a day and 2 calls a day from me. oops!!

O

·
0 Posts
The dealer does seem to have done a lot of work, if he is telling the truth, so can't be all bad. :d

The tappy noise from the engine, of course I haven't heard it but I have had 2 Scenics, both 2.0 litre now. One like yours and the newer one.
Both have the same engine in and both sound tappy when warm. I have looked a cars on the forecourt that sound the same and asked mechanics about it when I had occasion to have the car in a garage.
They said it sounded fine.

It does remind a bit of a diesel though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently fuming - car still not fixed, apparently it is now at a Renault garage as the timing is still out!!! I am really unsure as to what to believe, he has had the car for a week and a half now. been on phone to Consumer Direct who have advised me of my options but unless he willingly offers me my money back I have to go down the legal route of sending recorded delivery letter etc...
So no car, no money to get a replacement currently and no way of getting to any of my appointments this week at the hospital unless I drag all my kids along with me on the bus which I can do but it a right royal pain in the backside, don't really want them knowing about mummy's health problems.

Arrrggghhh!!!! Life is a beep beep at times!!

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
ask him which renault and give them a call and explain the situation and ask if they could speed up so you can get to your appointments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts