Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I have a Renault scenic 2002 1.4
For a few weeks the car is making a faint humming noise between the speed of 40 and 60 miles per hour. I thought there might be a problem with the wheel bearing but when I move the tire it when parked vertically and horizontally it seems to be sturdy. This humming noise seems to be coming from the drivers side (UK). The car seems to be running fine.'
Any suggestions?
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It's not unusual for a worn wheel bearing to hum or whine and yet have no free play or movement.

It can be difficult to detect a worn wheel bearing but jack ythe car up and spin the wheel with your fingertips on the suspension spring - in many cases the spring acts like a tuning fork. You may need to check both sides for comparision though.:)

D

·
0 Posts
Could be a few other things:

I 'think' there is an anti vibration damper on the o/s driveshaft. It's like a rubber donut fixed to the driveshaft. Make sure it's still there and not slid down the shaft.

An under inflated tyre will give your symptoms, as well as a knackered tyre. With the wheel in the air, give it a spin and look square on at it for any bulges / deflection in the tyre. Can also do a diagonal swap of wheels (o/s/r to n/s/f, o/s/f to n/s/r etc) to see if it goes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts