Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Scourered the forum and couldn't find an answer.

I have a year old grand Scenic - new shape.

The car sometimes displays a warning "low battery", at random times - sometimes at start up, sometimes during running.
I tried it last night with the other key card, and got the same issue, so I presume not a problem with that.
Whilst driving with the lights on (you don't do that too much in June!) I noticed it happened more.

Anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Grand Scenic 1.5dCi "Low Battery" warning

Yeh I think so too.
It's in with Renault now.
They called me after about 10 mins of having it and suggested it might be picking up the battery on my phone.
I never even thought of that, but pretty sure it's always ok when I have it in the car with me.
I had a feeling they'd try something like that though, intermitant faults are a nightmare.

Will eat my words if it is though.

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts

I have a year old grand Scenic - new shape.
I didn't notice this :eek:!! I must have read it with one eye closed or something... Sorry for being stupid :p:rolleyes:

Picking up the phone battery... I have never heard of this... weird :crazy:
Be interesting to hear whats causing this!

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
MK3 Scenic Dynamique 1.9 Dci 2010
13,498 Posts

I had this problem when I got my Scenic tomtoms as I sat in the car and going over what "toys" I had fitted including connecting my phone via bluetooth, after a while I got the message "Battery Low" so drove the car round the block still the message was the same, parked up for a while and came out without my phone, switched on no message realised I didnt have my phone, went back for it "Battery Low" message appeared again, left the phone out of the car and the message went,so proved the bluetooth was the culprit.

Just to prove when you get the message leave your phone out of range of the car and see if the message disappears, worth a try:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok - for completeness I'll update.

Renault took the car in yesterday, and changed the car battery.

When I really pushed as to why they needed to change a year old battery, they told me that one cell on it was faulty.

Fair enough - took it back, and first thing this morning it did it again.

I really feel that it's the bluetooth from my phone though now, and it seems to kick in at random times - when my phone is less than three quarters full, even when it's charging, so the above posts are probably right.

It's annoying, but not the end of the world!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts

always helps to read the hand book, all messages relating to vehicle systems illuminates in the black or lower part of the dash, the phone battery and other media messages come up in the top (blue screen) in my case or the one that's not there with the radio off. Just think though, Renault UK have just lost 100 quid plus on replacing a battery it did not need because their techs don't know how their own cars work, and you did not read the handbook. And you wonder why they charge what they do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

And you wonder why they charge what they do.
No I don't, bit presumptious.

Anyway, I've read that handbook inside out, and couldn't see where it says about the messages at the top.
The I.C.E handbook is a nightmare though - it refers to 5 different types of radio, from different manufacturers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nah I've got a Scenic 3, had the same problem although we did have an ageing flat battery too so we were getting both sets of messages and both appear in the same place on the TFT screen.

Its the wording thats subtling different, one tells you battery low turn on engine to charge and will display a message saying "charging battery" afterwards, the other just says battery low and thats your phone.

Very easy to mix the two up, poor design, no wonder its catching owners and mechanics out.

·
Banned
1 Posts

Hi guys, Renault Megane / Scenic Battery Low comes on even if you do short journeys or around town driving with radio lights a/c on. CHECK HAND BOOK. nothing to worry about as long as the car starts first time every time.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts

nothing to worry about as long as the car starts first time every time.
Not so, especially if you've got a start&stop system on, where battery is special j costs a few quids. Permanently undercharched battery is prone to deteriorate faster, won't hold charge and will give you a nasty surprise on a chilly morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had this, tried replacing the fob batteries, then swopped the main bettery over and the message has now gone, whenever I had the radio on with the car not running, It would flash up low battery start engine even if I had just been on a run. New battery I can have the radio on all day

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, are we saying that the car can detect a low batt percentage on a mobile phone and then display that message on the dash?
Presumably, by the same method that it uses to display the 'replace keycard battery' message from time to time?

is it possible it can tell me why the wife won't shut up?

·
Super Moderator
9,207 Posts
So, are we saying that the car can detect a low batt percentage on a mobile phone and then display that message on the dash?
Presumably, by the same method that it uses to display the 'replace keycard battery' message from time to time?

is it possible it can tell me why the wife won't shut up?
Yes it can, my Tragic radio did that, Sh1t me up until I Realised 'twas me phone It was on about.
As for SWMBO, NFI when you find out tell me :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have read somewhere that if you have bluetooth connection to phone or tablet, it can read information on phone/tablet and display it onscreen. That happened to me too and my wifes Megane 3 with BT connection. Not 100% sure, but it's possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.