Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a scenic 1.6 16v fidji (2003) with approx 38000 miles on the clock. Recently the service and airbag warning lights have lit up on the dash. Have also noticed a small amount of water being being blown out of rear of exhaust.

I have had the usual probelms with coils in the past, which were changed by renault and AA. Following that a newly fitted cambelt snapped causing alot of damage to engine. By some strange coincidence, the CAT then broke down and was changed. Shortly after the emmissions light lit up, but a friend with a diagnostic tool reset this for me.

As you can see i am not having alot of luck with the car at the moment. Does anyone know why the service and airbag lights have come on? Maybe the famous Renault electrics? To be honest, the car does not idle very well, and never has since purchasing.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Hi andros, the small amount of water coming out of the exhaust is pretty normal, it happens due to condensation within the exhaust system. If you have a run and the exhaust get hot enough this should stop the water. Sorry but cant give you an answer to the other parts of the question, but I am sure someone will be along to help shortly

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
AS Asterix says the water from the exhuast is condesation.

As for the SERV and Airbag lights. Look under the front seats and find the multiplug connectors, give them a wiggle then restart the car and problem should be solved. They are the plugs for the seatbelt preten system and are linked into the airbag system, it's a common problem.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I sometimes get these lights on my car - I just switch off and re-start (just like re-booting my laptop), it always works - the problem is too infrequent for me to get fixed (once a fortnight this happens - if that often).

Regarding the water, some will be condensation built-up in the exhaust, but its a normal part of the combustion process, in simplistic terms; H + C (petrol) & O2 (air) = H2O (water) + CO2 (carbon dioxide).
I haven't 'balanced' the equation, but hopefully you can see where I've come from.

The water will be most noticeable when the engine is cold - but its best to avoid short journeys, as this water build-up can result in the exhaust rotting from the inside out - give the car a good long run every so often to dispel the water.

Paul:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I have had one go at the wiggle, which seemed to work for 1 day. Will have a proper look again. hopefully more successful this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AS Asterix says the water from the exhuast is condesation.

As for the SERV and Airbag lights. Look under the front seats and find the multiplug connectors, give them a wiggle then restart the car and problem should be solved. They are the plugs for the seatbelt preten system and are linked into the airbag system, it's a common problem.
how do you get to the connectors under the seat, I have drawers under both the front seats, do these come out to get to the connections?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts