Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have seen other threads in this excellent forum that say you can disable the door locking that happens when you reach 5mph by pressing the door central locking button inside, for 5 seconds.

If this anti hijack feature is working correctly should the doors unlock when your speed drops below 5mph?

Mine does not unlock and the reason I'm considering turning it off is that it's a royal pain in the a**e when you stop to let the kids out (they have child locks on) and find their door is locked.

Any links to where I can get an online .pdf of the 2002 user manual?

Thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If this anti hijack feature is working correctly should the doors unlock when your speed drops below 5mph?
The point of the anti-carjacking feature is that, if you stop the car (e.g. at traffic lights) nobody can open a door and get into your car. If the doors unlocked whenever the car stopped, the feature wouldn't be a whole lot of use.

Yes, it can be a pain at times, but you'll soon get used to stabbing the central locking button when you want to let someone in. If you really don't like it that much, then as you say, you can always switch it off.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I think they could be 2 things a miss here,

1st - If you have the back doors/windows locked on the drivers window control button then this wont let the kids open the windows or open the doors - obviously for safety

2nd - If the above is deactivated ie, they can open the windows, then you should be able to just pull the interior handle on the back doors and open as usual but if they were to be opened from outside it wont open.

Does that make sense?:crazy:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Big Bob! There was а thread here on how to enable/disable the hijack locking function which I understand you've already read.
My suggestion would be to try by pressing the left side of the button (the side with the car diagram), hold it for 6 sec, or until you hear a beep, and prior to trying this to disable the child lock first.
I am not sure if your car would beep, at least on RX4 it does.
If it does not work on "contact" position of the igntion key, start the engine and try the same procedure.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts

Mine does not unlock and the reason I'm considering turning it off is that it's a royal pain in the a**e when you stop to let the kids out (they have child locks on) and find their door is locked.

Hi Rob, the answer to the doors unlocking is no they wont, unless the car is stationary and the internal handles are operated.

If the child locks are also activated then using the dash/console mounted central locking button should unlock the doors and allow the doors to be opened from the inside ...at least thats the way it works on my Espace IV

Horatio's points are on the anti-hijacking are the reason.

hope it helps:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thank you everybody.
All makes sense now.

I didn't know about the window switch also de-activating the rear doors - much appreciated Horatio.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts