Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 2.0 petrol auto Ok to tow a caravan within the towing limits ? Is the auto box pretty reliable now ? does anyone
tow with an auto scenic ?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi jumbo sorry i do not have a scenic i own a 2.0 16v Auto Espace 2002 i tow a Lunar 1300kg and 1400kg when ladened and the auto box that is in my car is a DPU box i have no problems at all with mine and the what car recommendations are that my car is better off with the auto box but on saying all this i would rather tow with a manual but i have no choice iam disabled so i have to use the auto but as i said i have had no problems as yet.There are many members that have been complaining of the Renault DPU auto box and have had problems but my belief is if the car in well maintained all should be ok i hope this helps Donald

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that donald same engine same gearbox so that has given me confidence my car is also disabled driver - may I ask you - do you take out extra insurance for your caravan in case of breakdowns ? or is the standard breakdown service cover the van.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thanks for that donald same engine same gearbox so that has given me confidence my car is also disabled driver - may I ask you - do you take out extra insurance for your caravan in case of breakdowns ? or is the standard breakdown service cover the van.
Hi iam with the AA roadside and relay but i had to tell them about towing the caravan but i do not think that it was any extra but do check just in case, you just have to tell them when you breakdown on the phone that you have a caravan so if they can't get you going on the road again that they bring the right truck for the job.

I say this because i broke down with Merc and the caravan last year they put the caravan on the back of the truck and then went to tow the merc on the spec on the rear of the truck but as you know you can tow auto rear wheel drive car ,it wreaks the diff so they had to put the car on the spec with its back wheels on it if you know what i mean i hope this helps Donald

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
i paid extra with the rac for arrival for a continental holiday broke down in holand put range rover on lorry and towed caravan to site then took car to garage and repatriated us home after supplied car while on holiday and arranged one for to meet ferry to get us home had to pay for fuel very good service arranged through caravan and camping club would not be without it. would highly recommend it to anybody. tink

1 - 5 of 5 Posts