Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Just discovered these forums as I was looking for some info on bike carriers for my RX4. Very impressed.

I've looked at roof-mounted cycle carriers but there's no way even two of us could get bicycles onto bars up there on the roof. I don't have a tow bar either. Am I doomed or has anyone else discovered another way of carrying bicycles?

Mine's a 2002 RX4 Monaco, so has the spare wheel enclosed.

Any help much appreciated....thanks

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums.

I'm sure someone will be able to offer you some advice regarding your post.

Regards

Ottoman

P

·
0 Posts
Hi

You have a few options that I have come across. Renault and Thule do a unit that attaches to the rear seat mounts and will take 1 or 2 bikes by the fork legs. This works really well, but you have to leave as many seats behind as bikes you want to carry. The next option it to leave the spare wheel cover at home and put a high level carrier on the spare wheel instead of the bumper. The third (and my preferred option) is to have all your seats and spare wheel cover and a step ladder in the car. Draper makes one that folds into its legs and fits nicely behind the rear seat headrests.

DRAPER FSL3 3 RUNG FOLDING STEP LADDER Safety & Workwear Best Price Step Ladders BUY TOOLS UK Cheap Online

You will get some rather strange looks as you unfold your ladder to climb up the side of your car, but it does mean that you can easily get 4 bikes on the roof of your car unassisted.

Hope this helps you out

Pat

P

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I would personally go for a rear wheel mounted one. They cause less drag than roof mounted and are more secure. I used to work in a bike shop and have heard plenty of horror stories of roof bars pulling out at speed with a couple of bikes on.
Chris

To be fair that’s very unlikely to happen with the RX4 roof rack, although I can see it being a problem with after market bars.

Pat

P

·
0 Posts
Really, I’ve always assumed that the Scenic bars shared the same mounts as the RX4 rack. It's not bolted as such, it's more of a clamping mechanism. I’ve regularly had three bikes on my roof and slightly exceeded:) the national speed limit with no signs of trouble. On the other hand I have seen a very expensive mountain bike that was dragged down the road by a strap after it fell of a rear mounted carrier.

Going back to the original thread for a minute, if you do strap the conventional rear bike carrier to the back of an RX4 it’s also in the airflow as it has to sit on the spare wheel rather than on the bumper (this still requires the ladder) I’ve seen the carriers that fit to the spare wheel, but I’m not convinced that the mounting system of spare wheel to tailgate on the RX4 is up to it. The nice thing about the roof mounted racks is that you can still use the boot and its very hard for anyone to steal your bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Pat, all good advice. I can't say I feel totally comfortable with our three bikes on the roof. I know the RX4 bars are pretty tough but I just can't bring myself to put my faith in them for long (100+ mile) trips. I saw a few cars tanking down the M4 today with bikes on top and I had to wince at a couple of them as they swayed in the wind a little too much for my liking.

Mind you, "RX4 1.9DCi" and "at speed" are unlikey to feature in the same sentence ;-)

I do like the stepladder though - very handy! I might get one of those even if I don't end up putting my bikes on the roof!

Thanks again
Martin

P

·
0 Posts
Martin

I wouldn't worry too much about a hundred miles. I took 2 and a roof box to the South of France and back on mine, also done Oxfordshire to the Cumbria on the same set up. Oxfordshire to Wales with three for a Sunday morning blast has been quite a common event too

Pat

P

·
0 Posts
Martin

if you are taking no more the 2 bikes and you only need 3 or less seats this works well. I have attached an image of the thule rack that fits inside the car. The advantage with this one is that your bike is secure in the car.

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
try this carrier

just got a 2 cycle rack, for rear door spare wheel vehicles for my rx4, this is available from halfords for approx £75, to use you need to remove the outer spare wheel cover, and feed the vertical retaining strap down behind the remaining half of the spare wheel cover, which is permanently attached to the rear door, (there is a hole at the top of cover) and feed the strap out from the bottom of the spare wheel. The other straps fit as per any other rear wheel model.
IMPORTANT: in order not to damage the paintwork on the inner half of the spare wheel cover, go to a plumbers suppliers and get about a half metre length of pipe insulation, and put this over the top retaining bar of the bike carrier, works a treat, one other point about this particular carrier, is that the supporting arms for the cycles can be offset or centred, so allowing you to adjust the placement of the bikes as best suits your needs, I found that by offsetting mine to the left (looking at rear of vehicle), the bikes are dead centre to width of the vehicle.
Hope this is a help.
Quintin

·
Registered
3 Posts
rx4 bike carriers

We have also been looking for a bike carrier for the RX4. Pat W can you let us know which one you have for your roof bars as it sounds a better choice. Many thanks.

Also quite interested in the carrier attached to the tailgate but we were concerned about how strong the tailgate is and whether it would cope with carrying the bikes.

P

·
0 Posts
I’ve tried all sorts and sometimes use a combination of them depending how many bikes I’m carrying. I usually use Thule, they are extremely good quality and each carrier is lockable which is a bonus with bikes being the price they are. Be aware that if you have a bike with a carbon fibre frame you can’t use the sort that clamp on the frame tubes, instead you have to use the type that requires the front wheel to be removed and carried in the car or on its own rack. Other bikes with the larger oval down tubes don't clamp as well in some makes of rack, it's worth spending time to get the right rack for your bike.

I also have the internal type as mentioned previously and a high level rear mounting rack that I bought for my previous car to mount from the rear bumper over the boot/rear window. You can still use these racks, but because of the spare wheel, it’s difficult to sit them on the bumper. I elected to leave the spare wheel cover at home, sit the rack on the wheel and strap it to the roof rack. This worked well, although access to the boot was restricted to via the rear seats. On one trip I ran 3 bikes on this rack, another 2 on the roof with a slim roof box and drove to the South of France, 780 miles each way, cruising at 70+. I did put a strap between to roof rack and the bikes as added security. I did look at the sort that fit to the spare wheel, but I wasn't convinced about the mounting of them, and to be honest I didn't like the idea of putting a £2000 bike in such a venerable position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, quick reply!

We are total beginners when it comes to bike racks. We have had them in the past but have just gone in and bought standard for whatever car we have! Found that difficult this time so your comments have helped enormously. If you don't mind me asking what type have you got that sits on the bumper (but kind of doesn't on the RX4) as that sounds a good option for us. We do not have expensive bikes - fair weather cyclers with kids in tow!! Also which model of thule have you got for roof? I know you said it would depend on bikes but to be honest at this rate the bike rack will be more expensive than one of our bikes!! ;)

P

·
0 Posts
I forgot to mention that you will almost certainly need special clamps only available from Renault if you are using the one piece roof rack for the RX4.

I have a Thule Outride for the wheel out option. The wheel in rack I use is no longer available, but the nearest thing they have now is the Proride. I also have a couple of cheaper versions from the local auto shop, but I have to admit that I don’t like using them anymore and add extra straps from the rack to the bikes on the odd occasion that I do. The rear rack I have was purchased from Halfords and is a Rear High Mount 3. It is about 6 years old now, but looking on their web site it doesn’t appear to have changed.
As with all these things, you can get the price down if you are prepared to spend the time to shop around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks very much!

Thanks for your help. We have been puzzling over this for a year or so and kept getting differing views. Will try the halfords one. It has been our first time on this site, and we just found it by accident when we did a google search. Will keep popping up to see what is being discussed now. We love our RX4 and have thought about getting rid of it in the past but found that we can just not bear the thought of it! Thanks again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts