Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes Scenic 2 1.5Dci has developed a grinding noise from the front at slow speed when braking I have checked the pads and they have about 5-6mm left. I have measured the discs and they are O/S 22.3mm N/S 22.47mm are these thicknesses within limits of wear? Nothing appears to be loose or have excessive play any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
does the noise only happen when you brake.could also be a wheel bearing gone,also have you checked the pads on both sides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine does that too, the dealer thought it was tyre noise - I don't agree. My noise happens when coasting to a halt, brakes or steering input don't affect the pitch or volume of the noise so I'm not inclined to think it's a wheel bearing. I've got 5 months warranty left, so I'm hoping it will make itself obvious before that runs out!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
This seems to be a problem on Scenic IIs, My 05 model used to do that but was cured after a number of visits to the workshop it is linked to the excessive brake squeal problem on some Scenic IIs it does not seem to impair brake performance it is a bit irritating tho.

Renault are aware of the problem ?

You can fit new pads but the problem will return.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
A common problem,and one that Renault seem to be still working on.......

I'll move and bump your post .:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just giving this thread a bump as I also have a 'grinding noise' coming from the rear passenger side when i brake.

It is only really noticeable when the car is almost at a stop - i.e. press the brake at speed, no noise until the car has slowed right down.

I had assumed it would just be worn brake pads - I have read above that 'renault knows about this' and/or 'are still owrking on it' - does that mean it could be something more serious?

My dad checked my front pads a coupel of weeks ago, as I thought the noise was coming from the front - he said there was loads left on the front pads - I'm just not sure if he checked the rear pads too.

But this noise is definitely the rear brakes, and stops as soon as you release the brake, if still moving.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the same problem - changed the pads all round with kwik fit. It did solve the issue temporarily but the noise has resurfaced.
I read some where ages ago that it is now common practice not to use copper grease in case the mechanic gets some on the discs? (or maybe this applies only to KF mechanics :d)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts