Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
54 reg Renault Grand Scenic - Beam benders

Hi, I have a 54 reg Renault Grand Scenic 7 seater, due to be taken to France at the end of April, and I am trying to find out what to do about beambending the headlights without the extortionate cost that the local Renault dealer will charge. As a last resort, I will go to the dealership, but I wanted to find out what other people know first.

Any ideas ?

Regards, Gizbar.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Are you taking it to France permanately or just for a short period?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grand Scenic 54 reg to France

@ Asterix - Not a permanent move, just a week !

@ Ottoman - Thanks for the link, will be following it up tonight.

Many Thanks, Gizbar. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
call me a skinflint but i find that if i drive towards a wall at night so i can see the way the beam goes and then using black insulation tape and a pair of scissors so it takes the top off the beam (where it goes up at an angle), this will suffice at minimal cost. as an added precaution i turn the lights down on the loading wheel in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Kinzicol.....doing this is not legal, for the price of a pair of beam bender at £5 ish its not worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i struggle to find why this is illegal it does exactly the same as other bought items, i have been to france for years and never had a problem with this method, i think you need to be aware that you may need an extinguisher as well as bulb kit now?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
I'm in France with a UK Scenic. I've managed to get the speedo working in km/hour - but I still have headlights that dip to the left.

My last car (not a Renault) had a lever on each headlight which changed dipping from left to right and vice-versa. Does anyone know of anything similar on the Scenic. I can't find any reference to it in the handbook, and when I looked under the bonnet I could hardly see the back of the headlight unit, let alone a lever.

Help?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hi, not sure there is a switch?

Think i have read about people buying deflectors or or beam benders. Not sure really perhaps a search may help to track down the answer, hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along soon.

Hope your enjoying France.

Regards

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
if you are in France permanantely (is that right) you will need to get your headlights changed, if only for a short spell you will need to get headlight converters/beam benders otherwise you will fall foul of the federallies, you even are supposed to have them if you only drive in daylight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm here for about 6 weeks, so I need to get "headlight converters/beam-benders" I think.

In my younger days, I bought bits of black tape from the AA to cover that part of the headlight lens that made the beam go left. With the mordern light clusters on my Scenic II that's obviously not an option. What are beam-benders?

Bob

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Bob - effectively the glass on the front of the headlights is a series of lenses which cause the light to be focussed to the left on UK roads. Obviously when driving on the right it will dazle oncoming drivers. I am not certain if they are available for your car but it is possible to get transparent stick-ons which change the light to the right. If you are in France it may be difficult to find them as most drivers get them before they go - but if you are a member of a motoring organisation thye may be able to help.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just got back from Belgium. I always use the Metro beam benders quite simply because they seem to work. "Blockers" do just that, block, so are no piggin' good. They're only about 6-7 quid and last for ages if you need them to.

The last place I got some was here:

Metro "Beam Benders" (clear) - LG016

(I don't work for them - honest!)

One tip for fellow continental drivers, always use something. One chap behind us on the train coming back had been fined by the French police. The chap was in the mistaken belief that using the headlamp leveller was enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I've currently got the lights angled v low, and I'm rarely out in the dark, and then it's normally on motor-ways, so I'm hoping I'll be ok. I haven't been "flashed" yet.

I'll see what I can do through the AA to get some beam benders. Thanks for your advice. Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been out and about enjoying France.

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a bit worried about my headlights, as they have gone very foggy. I have tried cleaning them but they will not become clear. Has anyone else had this problem? Looks like its just the surface of the lens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts