Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take the leap of acquiring a PDA Satnav system (Probably HP IPAQ 4700 & TomTom Navigator 5) there are two issues I'm not sure about -

Position on the Dash (new Scenic). Most favoured mount is BRODIT which offers one at the centre of the dashboard just above and to the left of the start button and one to the right of the steering wheel just under the air vent. The right mount position may result in my right hand obscuring the PDA, the centre mount may result in partial obscuring of the dash display. Has anyone any experience of these mounts?

The second issue relates to the position of the GPS receiver (this will probably be a TomTom which comes in the software package) can this be just stuck to the glass area next to the rear-view mirror (for best reception) or will it need to be at a near horizontal position? Has anyone any experience of this issue?

I look forward to coment.

Alistair

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
We have an Hp ipaq with tom tom 5 in our Lag. If you have a heat reflective windscreen in your Scenic this severely blocks the satellite signal. The black dotted area around the rear view mirror, where you are intending to put the receiver is not heat reflective and is the ideal place to locate the gps receiver. It shouldn't matter whether you place in vertically or horizontally. IS your pda/tom tom going to be bluetooth? That way you can put the receiver almost anywhere in the car,rear parcel shelf etc, any where in clear site of the sky. Batery life is usually at least 4hrs so should be ok for most journeys,but with 12v accessory skts everwhere ( in the Lag S/T there are anyway) finding a convenient location near a skt to re-charge it/keep it charged for long kourneys shouldn't be a problem.

Can't comment on the mount issue tho,sorry.

O

·
0 Posts
alistairwat50n said:
Many thanks, I intend to get a wired receiver as its cheaper & on power all the time.

Cheers

Alistair
Have you thought about the TomTom Go300 or do you already have the PDA?

I have TT5 on a PDA in the Porker but bought the TT Go 300 for the Espace - much prefer the Go because it is purpose built for the job, the sound is much better, you just turn it on and it's there, you don't have the problems of losing everything resulting in having to re-install or restore from a backup if you let the battery completely drain etc.

The PDA is good if you will use it for other things too.

Just one to think on - TomTom is excellent on PDA or Go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I intend to go the PDA route because the screen is much larger, eyesight not getting better as I get older. I've been looking at a lot of the postings at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ which are very helpfull. I am however concerned to get a neat firm mounting arrangement that works well & looks reasonable.

Cheers

Alistair

O

·
0 Posts
I take your point. The screen size is larger on the PDA but it is portrait rather than landscape, that means that the text at the bottom of the map giving information like ETA, Mile To Go etc etc is actually smaller, likewise the popup touch screen keyboard for entering routes etc is much smaller (at least it is on mine). With the Go you get bigger buttons and the menu icons are larger too.

Perhaps you need to see them both side by side.

The beauty of the PDA is that you can buy proper car kits from Tom Tom and then fit the kit bracket as if it were a mobile phone. Here's a couple of pics of mine in my previous car to give you an idea. Selwonk also has a similar kit fitted in his which just uses a mobile phone mounting bracket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for your thoughts, my understanding is that a IPAQ 4700 will display portrait or landscape, the BRODIT mounts will also set up portrait and landscape. The BRODIT proclip is only £16 so I'll probably get both & try both positions. I recognise that TomTom Navigator 5 is not perfect (few Satnav's are) but I suspect its among the front runners.

Cheers

Alistair

O

·
0 Posts
alistairwat50n said:
I recognise that TomTom Navigator 5 is not perfect (few Satnav's are) but I suspect its among the front runners.
I agree with you there. TomTom really is excellent.

Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you decide - some pics when it's done would be nice too.

Cheers

S

·
0 Posts
LOL! OG - a picture of the most unreliable car you've ever owned, and what's that symbol in the steering wheel?

A

·
0 Posts
I already said this before but I find TT5 with an Ipaq 1940 adequate. I use the bluetooth receiver as I hate wires and the batteries are good for 4-6 hrs. Not sure 'bout the scenic but mounting central to dash work fine with good signals and quick start up.

One tip though.

If turn u off the POI's the display scrolls a lot smoother.

POI Edit is also a very useful little piece of software for updating the gatso locations, mcdonalds locations, etc etc etc.

Sorry but I have a fetish for Mc D deli sandwiches.. mmmm...

Oh and yes you can orientate the screen at 90 degrees which gives you the same area as one of those all in one go packages..

I use the tom tom car kit / mount with no probs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone got any new updates to this question. I have an Ipaq 5550 and want to use Tom Tom 5. My question is where to mount the PDA.

Jonah

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been faced with the same issue about the reflective windscreen on my old laguna (dont think my new laguna has it) I have decided to go for a bluetooth 32channel gps reciver ...... with auto on off function.

Hopefully i can then just leave it plugged in on my parcel shelf or somewhere else and it will be fine ..... it will auto turn its self on and off as and when i need it.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
gps

Hi, I have a sirf3 gps reciever £30) which i just power on and put in the glovebox. I have tomtom 6 running on my pda which i mount using a magnetic pda holder. All this is, is a small circle which sticks anywhere on your dash and you put a small sticky backed metal recepticle inside you battery compartment of your phone. This deters would be thieves seeing the mark of the suction pad on your windscreen and is so small it doesnt intrude on your dash. Anyway just thought i'd share that if anyone wants more info give us a shout and i'll point you in the right direction (pardon the joke..lol).

Happy drivin , Stu.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i use XDa 11s with co pilot, and i use a vent holder on one of the centre vents, i tend to listen to it more than look at it but find the vent on the scenic high enough to view.

i use a bluetooth gps which i leave in the little cubby next to the dash display, and when its charging i put it between the seats in the little cubby. i have no signal issues with either locations.

i also have a window mount although i have not tried this yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts