Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 54 Plate Scenic 1.9dci dynamic.

After the low fuel beep noise & the range mileage shows around 50miles the computer goes funny...

Once the range is under 50miles it just shows 3 lines - - -

Is this normal??

All my other owned cars have gone at least as low as 5miles on the range .

James

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
It's perfectly fine, my Vel Satis does it at 68 miles - I think its to indemnify Renault in case the car runs out of fuel.

Paul:)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a strange one as my beamer doesn't even run out when the range says 0......

Cars going to the local dealer for a recall so I'll get them to check it & let you know.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Yep, the range function wimps out on you right when you need it the most. Their excuse is that you should add fuel as soon as possible after the warning light comes on, but most other manufacturers seem happy to provide you with trip computers that count right the way down to 0 miles (and still have some fuel in reserve after that.)

If I see it coming, I tend to check the current MPG and range, and do a quick mental calculation of the number of gallons I have left. I then switch to the 'gallons used' display and either reset the trip or add on the figure that I came up with.

By rights, you shouldn't have to do that, but if you can be bothered, it does work.

I should add that I once ran my 2.0 IDE dry while trying this trick. According to my calculations, I still had fuel left (less than half a gallon mind you) but the ECU still threw up an injection fault and the car spluttered to a halt. I don't think I got my sums wrong, so maybe the computer just isn't that accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Yup it's normal, but I've only once ran the tank that low ...... and mine went down to 10 miles before going ---
At that point I bottled it and went to the garage :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hi, as previous posts say, it runs out around the 50-60 mark, the first time it happened to me I nearly crashed as the beep is really loud I was looking around the car seeing if something had fallen off or the door was open.

I usually work on how many miles I have done against how many miles i have left on Range add them together to get say 600 per tank then when i get 570 on clock i know i only have 30 in left even though i have - - -

Hope this helps.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, as previous posts say, it runs out around the 50-60 mark, the first time it happened to me I nearly crashed as the beep is really loud I was looking around the car seeing if something had fallen off or the door was open.

I usually work on how many miles I have done against how many miles i have left on Range add them together to get say 600 per tank then when i get 570 on clock i know i only have 30 in left even though i have - - -

Hope this helps.
Yes Thanks Dave.......

Spoke with my local Renault Dealer 20mins ago & he reckon'd that its a fault....

The cars going in for a recall tomorrow so lets see if he's any good....

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
What did he say the fault was did he give you any sort of information on what they were going to do?

My wifes Clio RXE T reg does same and wimps out i just thought this was normal as some people would run it till it gets to 2 miles left then complain it wasnt accurate. I guess they are pretty good but i would not rely on them with less then a gallon or so in tank as it maybe "Putt putt stop!)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Spoke with my local Renault Dealer 20mins ago & he reckon'd that its a fault....
Don't you just love the way these dealers know the vehicles they look after inside out? It inspires me with great confidence :crazy:

If it's a fault, then we've had the same fault on four Lagunas and two Clios to date. In fact, I bet nobody here has a Renault with a trip computer that doesn't have this fault.

Showing dashes when the low fuel warning is a different kettle of fish and would be a fault. Are you sure you haven't confused the poor guy? :p

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't you just love the way these dealers know the vehicles they look after inside out? It inspires me with great confidence :crazy:

If it's a fault, then we've had the same fault on four Lagunas and two Clios to date. In fact, I bet nobody here has a Renault with a trip computer that doesn't have this fault.

Showing dashes when the low fuel warning is a different kettle of fish and would be a fault. Are you sure you haven't confused the poor guy? :p
LOL I have to be honest Horatio he could have been easily confused!!!

Lets just say he didn't seem to be the brightest of light bulds that I've spoken with.......

I explained that once the low fuel sound bleeped that once the range got to around 50miles that it would just show - - -

Its not always the same figure though...

Doubt it will be altered at the dealer but I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Car Manufacturers have yet to get to grips with this problem. It should be remembered that the fuel tank senders are notorously unreliable. Even on older cars the guage readouts were even worse. Its basically just poor design in my opinion. The only way to accurately calculate the amount of fuel used is by installing a good quality flow meter (this calculates how much fuel has actually been consumed by the engine). This is not cheap and is used on aircraft - even it has its difficuties as it relies on the pilot/driver to accurately input what amount of fuel has actually been added to the tank each time it is filled. Even after that the computer can still get the estimated miles left to travel wrong as it assumes everything will run as normal. It only takes a traffic jam or simple engine malfunction and any calculations will be useless. As a safeguard the onboard computers are normally programmed to err on the safe side. - in otherwords warn you well in advance. Additionally it should be remembered modern cars don't like running out of fuel,

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Its not always the same figure though...
I think it's based on the quantity of fuel that the trip computer thinks is left. The number of miles will vary, depending on the fuel economy you're getting at the time.

Also, on some models the two seem to be linked (dashes appear the moment the fuel warning light comes on) whereas on others, the two seem to operate independently. I'm not sure about our current one, but the last Clio used to show you the estimated miles remaining for a little while after the warning light came on. The Lagunas have always gone straight to dashes.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Yep, this is a fault allright, with FRENCH cars - both our Picasso and the Peugeot 206 did the same as soon as the low fuel light came on.
The Laguna is the same, pretty sure the Megane is as well.

The Citroen
Renault
And
Peugeot

People always say French cars are C>R>A>P> as the first letter of each make will form an anagram to confirm that.

All seem to have the same software as there are discrepancies with the metric/imperial conversions as well.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys,

Car went to the dealership on friday for a recall & to look at this fault......

Guess what..........."Its a purpose fault with all renaults thats been programmed when you only have 1.5 litres of fuel left in your tank"

Is that "brown" stuff I'm being feb again.....lol

Anyway my father has a bosch service station so lets see what he can do......

Where should I post Garage details???

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Is it a fault or is it designed that way. If I had only 1.5 litres of fuel left in my tank I would be concerned - looking for the nearest filling station. It may be designed that way as modern cars don't like running completely out of fuel (upsets their we brains I think). Let us know what happens:)

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Don't get this.
1.5L left! If mine comes on around the 50 mile range that would mean my car should do (.33G @ 50 Miles) about 150 mpg.
Something wrong with my fuel consumotion then.
Maybe the garage meant 1.5G remaining, which seems more probable.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
In my opinion (for what's it's worth) - fuel guages and computer based fuel measurig systems are at best only guess-timates - never seen one yet you could rely on - there are just too many variables (driving style, traffic, engine efficiency, etc) to make them reliable. Currently most computer systems rely on the fuel guage (notoriously inaccurate things) and the driver accurately inputting data. It should always be remembered the word guage means(estimate: judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time). It is not a means of measuring but it seems car manufacturers use these systems as a selling point. Never seen one yet that really helped me get more MPG.:)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm working on the theory that once the awful reserve siren sounds...........fill her up asap!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts