Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, im paul and me and the mrs just got a 02 plate Scenic Privilege Monaco 1.8 16v, its very nice with all the gizmos i could ever want.

ther are a few things im after, mainly price for work etc, its got sparse service history and no record of a timing belt change with 66k on the clock - how much is a service/timing belt change?

also its a 1.8 16v - with conservative driving whats my average MPG? im coming from a 1.8 TD focus which delivered about 44mpg as i had a heavy foot so hopefully i might get 40 out of it?

theres a few niggling things like loose trim etc but hey thats life.

i have lots of paperwork with it but not much makes sense, for instance what is the 'emergency pin' do (the one you enter whilst turning the key) i have a little card with it on.

finally i cant work out how to flatten the backrest to the rear central seat. ive seen a handle things on the back of the seat but it doesnt seem to do anything - maybe its broke the connecting cable - is this usual or common?

sorry for all the questions but its always the same with a new car!

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Hi and welcome. The service and cam belt change will probably set you back about £350 at a renault stealer, so if you know a good indi it would probably be quite a bit cheaper.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Re the cam belt change, it would really make sense to get it changed now rather than later, the recommended milage is 72000 or 5 years, better £300+ than thousands. I think you will really struggle to 40mpg rather I think max 33-35 but I might be wrong. The backrest should go down whilst holding/pulling the lever on the side of the seat. Not sure about the pin number, could be the radio code as Chris said.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re the cam belt change, it would really make sense to get it changed now rather than later, the recommended milage is 72000 or 5 years, better £300+ than thousands. I think you will really struggle to 40mpg rather I think max 33-35 but I might be wrong. The backrest should go down whilst holding/pulling the lever on the side of the seat. Not sure about the pin number, could be the radio code as Chris said.

ive just had a look there is no handles at the side of the middle seat - only the one at the top which i presume is broken.

thanks for the swift replies, £350 is silly, ill take it to an independent garage i reckon!

i dont think the pin is for the stereo, on the car it tells you to enter it by twisting the key 3 times in 20 seconds, then you enter the pin by the amount of times the immobiliser LED blinks leading me to believe its something to do with the alarm..

the stereo pin is entered via the volume controls and wheel on the dash (as im waiting from renault to get mine)

:d

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
OK it sounds like the pin is for the immobiliser, if your key no longer works and you cant start the car, this is probably the pin number to use to start the car in an emergency, hope you never have to use it, cos it cost mega money to have a new key coded. I think that the lever for the seat must have changed position between an 02 and an 06 scenic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably the pin number to use to start the car in an emergency
gotcha, thanks for that. we only got it last night so we havent had much chance to have a play with it.

i reckon the cable has come off the release down the back of the seat, as its still connected to the release mechanism.

i got 30days warranty with th car do you reckon it falls under it - i would call it wear and tear to be honest.

ill have a play see if i can reconnect it, if not ill get a new cable from soemwhere (it just looks like a brake cable to be honest)

othe than that im happy with it, the climate control is great. i also like the little vent in the 'cool box' in the dash to keep your drinks cold - natty!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Scenic Cam Belt

Hi I Have Just Had My Cambelt Replaced On My 1999 Scenic And It Cost Me 80 Quid Parts And Labour. I Am Not Sure Where You Live But It Might Be Worth A Trip To Dudley Renault In The West Midlands. This Lad Is Superb And Knows All That There Is To Know About Any Renault.

A

·
0 Posts
Thanks For Getting Back With A Reply It May Well Help Some Members Close To The Area Or Even Passing Through

A

·
0 Posts
The Renault Centre
Unit 1a, Tetnall St, Dudley, West Midlands DY2 8SA
Tel: 01384 259900

Just found the full address for your HELPFUL POST.

S

·
0 Posts
Some excellent stuff in this thread!

An independent is certainly your friend re. the cambelt change and your attitude to wear and tear is spot on! There has to be a bit of give and take when it comes to second hand cars. I'd give the dealer a ring if they are local and just see whether they will cast their eye over the seat problem - they might be able to sort it for a couple of quid

Welcome to the forums by the way

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yes Hello and Welcome to the Forums.

Reyour seat problem if no joy at the Dealers try a breakers for the part.

If your Cambelt is due a change I would get it done ASAP the piece of mind from having it done and the potential cost saving from a breakage ...
Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try placing your hand at the top center of the center seat with your fingers extending over the back and squeeze and pull forward at the same time. That is how it worked on my 02. My new 06 has a handle at the side. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its now fixed, i had to pop the two bits of trim off the back of the seat with a flat scredriver. I then used a torx screwdriver to remove the seat back and 'lo and behold' the cable had come out of its housing.

The cable from the lever to the release mechanism is housed in a plastic sleeve much like a brake cable on a bike and because the sleeve had become disconnected from the seat back it wouldnt work.

Simply popped the sleeving back onto the seatbacking and reinstalled, its all good :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts