Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I don't know if anyone could help. I have a 1998 Renault Scenic 1.6 RT. The Head Gasket was replaced 2 years ago and I have been told that the Head Gasket has gone again! Am I able to replace this again as I have heard that it shouldn't be replaced twice? Does anybody know what the cost would be to replace for a second time? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Dtrobbo.

I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge than myself will be able to assist with your post shortly.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Theres no reason why the gasket can't be changed again,accept for the fact that the head might not have enough left on it's face to be skimmed again.

Do you know if it was skimmed last time?.If not,then thats probably the reason it's gone again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I am aware the gasket was fully changed but if that's not the case, that could explain why it has gone again. Thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Although Renault recommend that their heads are not skimmed in the first place..

·
Registered
27 Posts
A light skim of any head (0.005" to 0.010") will not be a problem to any head no mater what the manufacturer recommends,
the most important part that people seem to overlook is to use new head studs, when replacing a head gasket on an modern engine with stretched studs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts