Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,just bought a `54 1.4 expression (scenic) and can`t figure out how the hands free mode works....could anyone enlighten me?Do i have to set it or something?

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I would be very surprised if your "Expression" is fitted with handfree locking/unlocking..

Is there a button on each of the external door handles? If there are no buttons then it is not fitted.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Is the Expression the base model?

I have a Dynamique and i dont have hands free, but i got 8 fingers and 2 thumbs so that will do for me. Think the hands free is onlu on the top models but i think if you want to deadlock the car you still need to press the keycard button anyway.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
On my Scenic II with Hands free you just press the door buttons twice to deadlock & close all windows if open. Some Dynamique's have hands free also some special editions as well.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Ditto Ottoman, 2 presses of the lock button and car is deadlocked and windows go up! I sometimes think though that it cant do the window motors much good trying to shut a window that is already shut, there must be quite a bit of force on the mechanism?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Ditto Ottoman, 2 presses of the lock button and car is deadlocked and windows go up! I sometimes think though that it cant do the window motors much good trying to shut a window that is already shut, there must be quite a bit of force on the mechanism?

No if the window is already shut the motor does not activate as it is past a point on the mechanism, Think of it in the same way as your one touch window switches.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Handsfree is where you dont have to touch the key to lock/unlock or start the vehicle..

Deadlocking is nothing to do with handsfree..

Yes the Expression is the Base model and as such handfree is not standard.
I'm also sure that it is not even available on as an option on this model..
In any case it is more trouble and cost after the warranty runs out than its worth..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys

I too have an expression and it does have the 'thumb' buttons on each door handle. mine does not unlock when i approach and does need the keycard in the reader to start.

whilst mine does have all the toys autolights, wipers, panoramic roof, folding mirrors, tyre sensors etc i didnt realise this was the handsfree option cos it dont do it when i walk up to the car.

Does this mean its not working or not activated???

Just to recap if you have the buttons on the door handles it should be handsfree??

Thanks

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi, I believe the easiest way to tell, regardless of model and ignoring the door handle buttons, is

How many buttons are on your Keycard?

If its 2 buttons then you aint got hands free this is called "Keyless" and you need to press the buttons to lock and unlock the car, the card also needs to be in the reader to start the car.

If its 3 buttons then its "Handsfree" which means you dont need to press buttons or even put it in the card reader.

hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
You can't tell by the number of buttons on the key either.. I have three buttons but don't have full handsfree fitted.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Blown that theory then Webcode ... :)

Whats the 3rd button for then ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whats the 3rd button for then ?
Im pretty sure the third button is to enable/disable the electronic boot release to prevent someone from sneaking up and opening your boot without you realising. I initially thought it was a boot release button but after some messing figured out that if i press it my leccy button didnt work and if i press it again it did.

I was told by my Renault dealer handsfree cars had a sensor on the passenger side front door dont know the meaning of this.

My car should be going in soon for some recalls i will try and get some clarification then. Looked in user manual (not much help there though lol)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Ottoman - When i double press my keycard too lock the car i can see the window trying to shut ie there is a slight movement and if you look closely the angle of reflection changes and there is a slight noise not from the motor but from i guess the top part of the window pushing against the inside top edge of the door frame.

Do you follow?:) :) :)

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah right,so it seems mine doesn`t have this function,I presume it must be a standard hand book that they send out with all models then because it explains how to do it in the book,ok so what about the automatic wipers??My headlights come on automatically so that must be standard?..Has anyone else got the 1.4 expression?

·
Registered
18 Posts
ajbrynoffa

Ive got a 1.6 Expression, Although engine size will have no bearing on equipment level.

The Authentique is the base model and comes without basically everything. No elec handbrake, No elec rear windows, no blinds, and so on.

The hierarchy is as follows

Authentique
Expression
Dynamique
Privilege

I have an 2004 Expression and a 2005 Dynamique and the expression has a higher equipment level than the dynamique but that is probably down to extras chosen at build. Does any one have total hands free emtry and startup and if so do you have the little buttons on each door handle??
Have a read of this web page for more info Renault News | Renault Scenic 2006 prices and specification announced
Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok the bits you mentioned on the door handles are on all models, unfortunately It looks like you dont have the keyless option. I still dont know if mine does.

I will find out more once my car has been in for recalls later this week.

To be honest i havent even tried the auto wipers yet :eek:

Ive only had the car for a couple of weeks when i spoke to my main dealer about various thingies to do with the car they told me i have to bring it in for urgent recalls to be carried out.

Will tinker about and let you know

1 - 20 of 32 Posts