Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2004 Grand Scenic. Since November last year I have had problems starting the car. After inserting the card and pressing start I get a message saying 'steering lock activated'. It is impossible to start the car. After much wiggling of the steering wheel we are able to start the car.

The car on 2 occasions has been towed into the dealers. On the second occasion we were told that the steering lock had been changed but the problem is still there. It has now been back and forth to the dealers 6 times who cannot find a problem.

The fault happens everyday yet after a combined 4 weeks at the dealers they cannot find anything!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone had similar issues and if so what was the outcome.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Firstly Hello & Welcome to the Forums JeffBrannen.

I have not heard of this problem with a Scenic II but have heard it happening on several Megane IIs I cannot recall at the moment where I came across this but I will have a search and see if I can find it, Be patient tho.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Had a look thru my mates Laguna II handbook and it says you may have to turn the steering wheel slightly to get ot to unlock. Have you tried moving the steering wheel slightly before inserting the key or card.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying.

We have tried allsorts but the only way to release the lock is to violently shake the steering wheel whilst pressing the start button - its a bit hit and miss but eventually works.

As my wife is the main driver of the car I thought it might be something she was doing but it has happened to me also. We have had the car for over a year and all was fine then out of nowhere the problem happened.

Whats frustrating is that the garage can never see the problem yet within a day or two of getting the car back it happens immediately.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Definitely something wrong there - me thinks. As far as I know the steering should unlock when the card is inserted and before the starter is activated (you should hear it clicking) Looks like something's seriously out of sync here. Have you tried moving the steering wheel before you enter the card.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried loads of things and although I cant be 100% sure, I am sure that was one of the things I did try. The car has been at the garage for a week now (still there as we speak) and I know that I will get a call from them saying they could not find a fault and I can also guarantee that the day we get it back it will happen again.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi Jeffbrannan,

from what I have been able to find I think your Steering Lock unit needs to be replaced or the complete steering column.

I would try another Dealership if possible or get on to Renault Customer Services as this seems to be a known fault in Megane IIs & Scenic IIs.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Yup, as has been said it is a pretty common fault and the dealers DO KNOW about it. Don't let them fob you off.

I've a work mate who has a 2004 1.6 Grande Scenic. He's on his 3rd steering lock already and this one is acting up again ! Apparently the garage only reset something this time ( ??? ) and it's behaving itself again.
His wife is the main driver and he too is concerned as the car has left her stranded twice already.

Touch wood, I've not yet had any probs with the steering lock ..... or much else to be honest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everybody.

Thank you all very much. I think it is time to call Renault and get it to another dealer. I must admit that my current dealer is a usefull as a solar powered torch!!

Once again, thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This fault has happened twice with my Scenic but both times my steering wheel was on full lock at the time and I got the same warning message as you.

I had to twist the wheel a "miniscule" amount more whilst pushing the Start button and it released.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steering lock problems

Jeff I own a Grand scenic and have experienced the same problem. Mine is a 2005 model and I bought it in March this year. 10 days ago I couldn't start the car and the same message appeared. I called the AA as it was still under warranty. The guy said it might have to be brought in as this was a problem with this car. After having pulled the steering wheel forcefully it released and that was that. It happened again 2 days ago and the dealership here(N.I.) said they had never heard of a problem like this. I was told if it happens again they will take a look at it. Thank heaven I found this page . Iwill now take it back and insist they fix it. mum60

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Mum60.

Yes it is a known problem, If any problems contact Renault Customer Services as it is well documented.

Let us know how you get on, We are here to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scenic II - Steering lock - Anti-theft device

I had the same problem on my 4 year old Scenic II 1.4 diesel. It could not move although the brake was released and was being maneuvered by 3 men! The engine could not start; the car’s control panel was reporting 'steering lock activated'. I ended up being towed to the Renault Malta since the car went DEAD.

Following an argument with local agent, the part was replaced. I cost me around Euro 600 - following a substantial discount!

I have written to the local Consumer Protection Department, Renault Malta and to Renault France. Renault Malta is claiming that this is a “wear and tear” problem and I have not received an official response from Renault France. I am contending that this is a latent defect. Your forum seems to proof me right. Furthermore a car was garaged at Renault Malta reporting the same problem.

Following some research and discussing the matter with a local experienced mechanic, it seems that this part is shared by other reputable car manufactures and they all seem to have problems with this part.

Can anyone offer advice as to the electronics employed so that this device works. Does the part work with high radio frequency or infrared? Is it subject to normal “wear and tear”..?

What would have happened if the steering lock was “activated” whilst I was driving? One of the correspondents is claiming that the fault is well documented. I feel that this is a security driver and passenger safety matter, and Renault should make a recall on this part.

I thank you for your help.

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
steering lock problems

Hi there, not sure if you have solution as yet, but did read comments about this, as a common problem, on another site - howtomendit.com I think.....mainly under Megane....when I was hunting for help for my problem. Seemed to happen a lot but not be dealt with properly by dealers....but there was a much simpler solution suggested - might have been related to Fuse #19 but best see if you can find the posts on the other site if not sorted out here, think it was under Megane and electronic faults...Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had this probelm a year or so ago, tried to start car and display would say steering lock problem, phoned out aa who said they could only take it to the dealer or another garage. so got them to take to dealer. phoned renault and explained that the car was only 6 weeks out of warrenty and told them i had a megane before the scenic and he said it wont be a problem, dont worry bout the cost and he would escalate it and somebody would be in touch. cue a phone call the next day saying that the steering lock mechanism needs replaced and it would be £280 but they will go 50/50 with me. i told her the guy yesterday said not too worry bout the cost and it'll all get sorted. then she hits me with, he didn't have the authority to tell me that and 50/50 was the best they could and will do. £140 later all is fixed. not before the dealership phones up telling me thats your car fixed that'll be £280 please. not sure if my next car will be a renault i like the cars just not too sure about the aftercare service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife's has just started this now. After the dash which renault did subsidise and the melted fan wiring which they are refusing to accept is a common problem I am losing the will a bit with this car. No doubt, despite the fact that this is a "common problem" they will deny all knowledge and I will be left with another big bill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, after reading about all your problems youve had with the scenic 11's i thought id leave a little message telling you all about the same kinda thing that happened to me......my steering lock also jarred and same as you lot couldnt start the engine...however it happened to me after a minor accident of me dropping the car down into a concrete ditch......rac came to my rescue and pulled me out of the ditch and only then did we realise the car wouldnt start, i was then towed to a renault garage and i contacted the insurance to make a claim for my accident.... my insurance however refused to pay out claiming that the car needed a new steering column and claiming it was a 'COMMON FAULT'that ran coincidential to the minor accident. i then contacted renault myself who said it is NOT a common fault and also aggreed to give me this in writing to provide to my insurers. not only did renault give me the information i needed to take my insurers to court and win my case they also paid 50/50 with me to fix my car... it ended up costing me only 253 instead of 506. i understand people on this forum have had problems with renault however for me they were fantastic!! i just wanted to say how fantastic they are for helping me through this battle with my insurance and also paying half the bill!! they have made me and my children very happy as without their help we would of missed out on a holiday that we had previously booked and thought we couldnt make it as had no car!!! also our routinely weekend holidays at our caravan go ahead as usual!...anyway thanks for listening and i hope you all get your problems solved as i did.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there i have a megane2 and are having the same problem, been told its the little computer next to the steering column which is on a left hand thread wich is the steering lock i presume. He said "not hard to do BUT an expensive part". is this a dealer part ? or does anybody know where i can get one ?.

loky11.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts