Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault - Scenic II - Controls - Indicator Auto-Cancel

The indicator stalk on my late-2003 Scenic II is not behaving.

When indicating right, the stalk will auto-cancel at the slightest nudge or turn of the steering wheel. This makes it really hard to keep the indicators going around roundabouts!

Indicating left behaves fine (and the click of the stalk to the left position is much more definite).

Is this just a worn-out switch which needs replacing, or something I can adjust myself?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
My Scenic does it too...especially when indicating right. It auto-cancels and it then seems blocked to flicking it to indicate right again unless I give the steering wheel a waggle (which can be very disconcerting to whoever is driving along side me !!!).

AND it did exactly the same on a test-drive Scenic I had back in April2004 !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another "feature", then? :)

I've only had the car a month, so wasn't really sure what to expect, although symmetrical behaviour would be nice!

Thanks, anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
self cancelling

It is my understanding that this was bad design and if you go to Renault there is a free modification that they will do for this model.
Regards
Mark

simoneves said:
The indicator stalk on my late-2003 Scenic II is not behaving.

When indicating right, the stalk will auto-cancel at the slightest nudge or turn of the steering wheel. This makes it really hard to keep the indicators going around roundabouts!

Indicating left behaves fine (and the click of the stalk to the left position is much more definite).

Is this just a worn-out switch which needs replacing, or something I can adjust myself?

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The indicator stalk mechanism needs to be replaced.. There is a modified unit. Go see your dealer..

·
Registered
4 Posts
THis has been bugging me since I got my 2004 scenic. When turning left or right, the indicators cancel far too soon - sometimes even BEFORE I've turned. Is this normal behaviour? It's infuriating, and probably unsafe. I end up having to hold the turn indicator in position to stop it snapping back off...

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Known problem on the Scenic II..

You need a new indicator & light stalk and the rotary/switch replaced with modified items.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Just wondered is this something Renault will cover under a recall or is it up to Jack Jones to open his empty wallet and pay up for another fleecing? :)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Will be covered under warranty if you have some remaining.

Or you will get fleeced!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not yet...

I've kind of gotten used to it having driven the car for the last three and a half years... I'll get them to look at it at the next service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd be interested in any update. I have a late 2003 Scenic 11. I have been told by my main agent that it is an inherent fault with no fix available

O

·
0 Posts
There is an easy fix available, but it will cost you £170 at the dealer.

Cheaper fix is to buy the part second hand and do it yourself.

Nice when a manufacturer makes a bad design and you have to pay for it to be remedied.:mad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Are you able to describe the fix. Is it just exchanging a part for one from a later model scenic or is it something entirely different. I'm likely to hang on to this car for quite a while yet so I would like to pursue getting this fix. Any info that will let me know what the job entails would be most appreciated

O

·
0 Posts
You need to get the module from a later model including indicators and wipers.

The steering wheel will need to come off, so watch the airbag.

The Haynes manual describes it well.

O

·
0 Posts
Recently got mine replaced at Renault, but now the right turn will not cancel at all 75% of the time.:crazy:

It was my understanding that the entire module around the column needed to be changed, not just the indicator stalk, as the modified stalk will not fit the old unmodified module.

Anyone know otherwise?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had exactly the same problem, and after buying a replacement second hand unit it still done the same.
In the end i modifed the original unit by trimming the plastic rocker which make it auto cancel, and now it works as good as ever with maybe 1 in 30 cancelling early.
Can post pics of what i trimmed if anyone is interested.

Stu

O

·
0 Posts
I had exactly the same problem, and after buying a replacement second hand unit it still done the same.
In the end i modifed the original unit by trimming the plastic rocker which make it auto cancel, and now it works as good as ever with maybe 1 in 30 cancelling early.
Can post pics of what i trimmed if anyone is interested.

Stu
Some pix could be a good idea, for me and everyone else with this problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts