Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:( Hi everyone i'm having problems starting my megane scenic(1999) some days it will start ok and other days it will take for ever to start some times i put it into 2nd gear and turn the engine over and this does the job.
I've just been reading about the top dead centre sensor so i went out took it off gave it a good and well earned clean popped it back on and i cant get the car started again,help

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hi grunner70, it might be worth you changing the title to intermittant starting or similar as you are more likely to get help and more responses from those who maybe able to point you in the right direction. :)

Sorry i dont have the answer but hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will be along soon.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
No problems, it just makes it easier for those spotting messages that they can see what it is you need help with instead of clicking every link to find out.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hooray

:) Hi everyone just an update on my scenic,called out the RAC today they checked the plugs and no spark then they tested the injectors and nothing then he took of the Top Dead Centre sensor gave it a lot better clean than what i did and it fired up straight away:) ,they said it should be fine now but if a get the same trouble then to fit a new sensor.
I would just like to thank everyone who helped:d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was similar but the immobiliser light is flashing. Does this mean theres no point trying to clean the sensor etc as the immob is on anyway so it wont start eitherway?

Can I not physically bypass the wiring which the immobiliser 'immobilises'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi i have the same problem with gunner70. i would like to clean the top dead center censor but i dont where i can find it. please somebody help me. and what tools and cleaning stuffs for cleaning are needed. thanks very much.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chocnut. I cleaned the sensor and it did nothing for me but it works for a lot of people so heres where it is...

If you open the bonnet and stand on the side where the battery is the TDC sensor is about 12-15 inches down the right side of the engine block towards the back.. You cant see it very well but you can feel for it. Wiring leading to it and a 10mm bolt on either side. I managed to get it out with a socket set pretty much by feel. But if your unsure take a small mirror and torch out and its pretty much the only thing in this location so you will see it.

Hope this helps, or someone can post a more technical and descriptive version of what I have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello!

New to the forums after recently purchasing a used 2001 Scenic Dynamique 1.6

(Have also driven a 4, a 12, an 18, a 21 and a Megane in the past, so I'm nothing if not brand loyal).

Is this the same non-starting problem you get when the engine is hot? The usuer manual encourages me to sit, in a zen-like calm, until the engine cools sufficiently and air bubbles in the carb dissolve to start again. Will cleaning the TDC sensor work for this?

Edit: Thanks for the advice in other threads, will have a go on the TDC later this week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scenic TDC Sensor removal

Hi,

Can anyone help? I have tried to replace the sensor on my 2001 1.6 RXE auto. I can undo the bolts, but cannot wiggle the sensor out from under the thermostat housing. There must be a knack to it that I haven't discovered. Very frustrating! I don't want to have to take off the thermostat as well.

I managed to give the contact a good rub with my finger that cleaned it a bit, so the starting has improved, but I'm sure it would be better taking it off and doing a proper job. Incidentally, it is the sensor that has the captive nuts on it.

Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
4 Posts
When trying to restore good contact at the TDC plug connection, consider the following procedure: lift the plastic locking tab on the plug connection and simultaneously pull it apart, clean the two male contact pins inside using “contact cleaner” (spray can type) & an ear bud, finally grasp each pin with a pair of long nose pliers (about half way down the pin length) and turn/twist each pin just slightly through an angle of say 10°.

This might just solve your problem!
Regards

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone help? I have tried to replace the sensor on my 2001 1.6 RXE auto. I can undo the bolts, but cannot wiggle the sensor out from under the thermostat housing. There must be a knack to it that I haven't discovered. Very frustrating! I don't want to have to take off the thermostat as well.

I managed to give the contact a good rub with my finger that cleaned it a bit, so the starting has improved, but I'm sure it would be better taking it off and doing a proper job. Incidentally, it is the sensor that has the captive nuts on it.

Thanks in anticipation
Are you sure you are trying to remove the TDC? the TDC is usually on the top centre of the bell housing.

Look at these pictures of the TDC on the Laguna 11, your TDC should be in the same position..............

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49390&highlight=laguna+tdc

·
Registered
11 Posts
HI, Thanks for the response. Yes I am sure it is the TDC sensor. I have bought a spare that is the same as the existing, but cannot wriggle the old one out from under the thermostat housing. My starting has improved since I managed to move it sufficiently to rub my finger over the sensor end, which removed some muck, so I now have the spare, just in case, for the future.
Mine fits slightly differently to the Laguna pictures, in that it sits behind the bell housing flange, and the 2 bolts go through the housing and screw into captive nuts on the actual sensor.

Thanks again for the assistance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can’t really comment on removing it from a 1.6 engine, but here are a few remarks (probably already covered by you): ensure the bolts are completely out of the way (no unthreaded alignment tips?), did you try tilting it away from the engine whilst shifting it horizontally to the rear of the vehicle?, investigate using a mirror, and hopefully dealer workshop personnel would be willing to share a little tip like this with you? (or simply pop in and tell them you have a TDC sensor problem, are considering to bring the car in, but how big a task would it be? – do they also have to remove the thermostat housing?).

Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks again GFB.

I'll bear that all in mind if and when the situation occurs again!. Meanwhile it is all working ok so I'll leave well alone.

Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts