Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,newbie here!Ok My 1998 "S" reg scenic has recently started "kangarooing" when i let the clutch out,mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear.I can rectify it by putting the clutch back down but its peeing me off!I read somewhere about pencil coils but i`m not even sure if my car is 16v,can anyone advise please?....Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I suspect that your car could be an 8 valve,in which case check the vaccuum hose between the MAP sensor(on the bulkhead) and the inlet manifold.They have a tendancy to crack and split.If this seems OK,then they do have problems with coil packs,of which there are two.

If it is a 16 valve,then it could very well be a faulty coil.

To tell if yours is an 8 valve or not,does your car have thick spark plug leads running from two boxes near the front of the engine?.If so,it's an 8 valve.

If it has 4 smaller wires running from a loom onto each individual coil,then it's 16 valve.

If you know the engine code,you can tell from that too.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blimey that was quick...thankyou!!I`ll have a check in the morning and report back if thats ok....thanks again....Alan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thanks....looing at that then i`m pretty sure its an 8 valve....the wifes out in it at the mo,so i`ll check in the morning...thankyou

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Morning lagdti,ok i think i`ve established its an 8 valve because ,as you said there are 2 boxes on the top of the engine,each with 2 ht leads coming from it.I`ve checked most hoses,whether i did the one you suggested i don`t know,but couldn`t find any obvious cracks,so does that indicate the coils?I fso are they servicable or do i just change them?....thanks.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The coils you refer to are not serviceable and need to be renewed.. The hose you need to look at is quite small in diameter if that's any help. Not the big fat ones that are part of the heating/cooling system.:) I would advise you double check the hoses as they are a known prob - the slightest crack can cause a malfunction. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
A warped or contaminated clutch plate, or damaged input shaft would cause this effect also if I'm not mistaken. Also could be the engine/gearbox mountings. How old is your clutch?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really don`t know Marty,i`ve only had the car about 3 months....with you saying about mountings that could be a possibility because when i start the engine i get a slight"knock" which seems to be coming from the top of the engine as if the engine shakes.It only happens when i turn on the ignition and fire her up and i thought it sounded like something loose.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Try getting someone else to start the car while you have a listen around the engine with the bonnet open, it should be quite obvious to you where it's coming from if you can hear it when you're in the drivers seat. Also try rocking the engine and looking for excessive play in the mountings. Watch your fingers while the engine's running mind;)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Clunks and Clicks

Trying letting the clutch out slowly in first gear with the handbrake on and get somone to watch the engine or listen for clunk, etc. Try the same thing in reverse. This is normally a good test for engine mounts and steady brackets. Just don't let anyone stand directly in front or behind and do it in a clear area with no other vehicles or people about (a Tesco forecourt may be suitable):rofl:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,back again!Ok i`ve gone through all the suggestions here but unfortuanetely still got the problem!We have had some progress though!I`m certainly not a whizz with cars but i reckon it could be something to do with the fuel supply because yesterday i was going down a hill to a junction and the car cut out as if i had run out of fuel.I stopped and it started straight away.It seems to be more noticeable as well if i`m "freewheeling" and then put my foot on the revs,as if at low revs theres not enough fuel getting through....is this feasible?Perhaps a blocked fuel filter or faulty pump?If it could be that could someone please tell me where the fuel filter is so i can clean it out?(In simple terms please!!)........Thanks in advance.......Alan.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Im not sure exactly where on your model - but the 8-valve engine has it on the inlet manifold - usually a cylindrical in shape with a couple of wires connected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
erm can i butt in here and say ........

engine mounts and or engine to gearbox mounts ,
nice and cheap and often over looke , ...." my money is on the engine to gearbox mount "

nice quick job in a garage on a ramp ,...( cheap as well )

have a burly guy lift up the bonnet, and then ask him to see if he can use his hands to rock the engine ( handbrake on and outta gear )

or ( with the ignition turned off during both tests ) and whilst on flat ground , place the car in reverse gear and remove the handbrake .

proceed to gently push the car back and fourth ....( thus ascertaining as to weather or not you have a soggy engine mount or g/box mount )

i advise if it is a mounting of any sort , that you gat it seen to sharpish, due to the oily elektriky diesely petroly engine issues that have a tendency to arrive if subjected to rocking forces ,

eg: when you release the clutch ...... it allows the engine to try and pull back
( this is where the g/box engine mount comes into play ) and if its ( perished or worn ) it will be noticable on warmer days due to the nature of the decaying rubber which causes it to become really soggy ,

if you depress the clutch however .....
it automatically lunges forwards , due to the resistance created against the drive of the gearbox ( usualy unoticed with a solid supporting rubber mount in good condition )

hope ive helped .............

hope it is as cheap as a bit of rubber........

mr edmonds:yawn:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts