Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an S Reg scenic Alize in December 2006, with 65,000 on the clock.

About 6 weeks ago, it started running rough, I took it to a local garage, and it turns out the head gasket has gone, whilst being repaired the rear off side shock absorber leaked all over the garage's floor.

I contacted the dealer I bought the car from for assistance, but they didn't want to know, saying that the car had an AA warranty and to use that.

Upon reading the warranty terms, they wont pay for skimming of the head or a few other bits, and wont pay for the shock absorber at all.

I had reported a knocking noise over the rear offside wheel arch to the dealer several times, who said that he had adjusted the exhaust and that was what was wrong.

The car has now been repaired and all is well, however I have been left with a bill for a little over £600, the warranty company will only pay £312.

Is it unreasonsable to pursue the dealer for a contribution to the rest of the cost?

Thanks for any advice.

Ferret1979

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & welcome to the Forums Ferret1979.

Depending on the time scale of your reported faults to the dealer, Also they are supposed to meet a criteria for applying an AA warranty, The shock absorber would be classed as fair wear and tear.

I would contact the Dealer first and see what they have to say also contact the AA to voice your concerns re your reported faults to the dealer.

I'm sure others will offer an opinion on this post as well .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ottoman

Thanks for your quick reply, I have tried speaking to the dealer, he doesn't want anything to do with me, I was advised to put it into writing which I did, and he promptly sent it to his legal department, so its all got formal very quickly.

I think I am just going to have to leave it as it is, but just wondered what others thought.

Thanks again

Ferret1979

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Under some of the most recent "Sale of Goods Act" amendments, if you buy from a dealer you should get a minimum of 6 months warranty. Any defects that appear in this time are deemed to have been there at the time of purchase, unless the dealer can prove otherwise. They must therefore be fixed by the seller.

Sounds like you should get 100% refund, and I suggest you try Citizens Advice or any free legal cover that you may have with your insurance. Good luck, and do let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ivor_E_Tower

I did contact Consumer Direct, and they have said pretty much the same.

When the dealer wrote back, they said that as it has worked ok for 5 months that proves it was of satisfactory quality.

The situation that I am left in, is the legal dept of the dealer wont communicate with me anymore, they said that in their last letter.

Consumer Direct suggested obtaining an independant report on how long these parts should have lasted. I phoned a Renault Dealer today, and he said that the head gasket could do at any time.

I think I have to either leave it now, or take it to a small claims court.

I just don't know if its worth the hassle.

The dealer has already put two new drive shafts in it because of ABS problems, and done something to the gear box. He says that he has done a lot already.

Do you think its worth pursueing further?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Any news Ferret?Have you come to an agreement with the dealer?:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts