Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, fantastic site by the way.

i have a 2003 scenic 1.6 16v, it has 56000 miles and over the last two days the car has been very juddery when starting, and now i`m getting a flashing orange warning light when im driving. if i stop and let the car idle it judders but light goes out, soon as i start to accelerate again after about 30 seconds the light comes back on.on saturday i was caught in a flood in which i had to drive through could this have caused this fault? thanks for any advice.:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi Macca and welcome to Renault forums, if this problem started after you drove through a flood then it sounds like a short on the electrical components under the bonnet, I would suspect the pencil coils first. If you have the good old Haynes manual it will explain how to remove them. I would remove them one by one and check for moisture. If you see any moisture dry them out as best you can, when a similar thing happened to me I used a hair dryer at a low temp. and gave them a squirt of WD40. Hope this helps, if not please get back to us and I am sure other members will try to help you out
Regards leroy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice guys.sorry about the delay in replying,ive just got in from work.car still the same just tried it.
ive gotta say im a complete novice so some advice on where to find the coils would be appreciated.

thanks again

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi again, the ignition, or 'pencil' coils sit on top of the spark plugs and are each attached to the cylinder head by one torx bolt. It's just a matter of unbolting them one at a time and pulling them upwards away from the plugs and checking for damp. It's also a good time to check the condition of your spark plugs. If you get stuck we are here to help
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again,
ive found and checked them and problem persists. after looking through the manual ive realised the warning lights is informing me of toxic fuel.any ideas?
thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi ive read other post on here about dodgy batches of coils, but mine are stamped 4-258 which isnt part of the dodgy batch.i really dont want to replace all four if i can help it. whats the best way to test each coil. thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The only way to see which coil is faulty is to disconnect the fuel injectors one at a time and see if the engine note changes.Disconnecting the coils in turn is pointless as they're wired in pairs,so you'll never find the faulty one.

Have a search for 'Pencil Coils' as there is a massive amount of info about them on here.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts