Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Scenic is due for an MOT and has done 39,000 miles.

The Arnold Clarke garage I bought it off said they did a service when I bought it last December, when it was at 32,500 miles.

No idea if it had the oil changed so was thinking of taking advantage of the Amsoil discount and getting the garage doing the MOT to do a change at the same time or even before.

Question is how much oil do I need to order and what type? Have misplaced the manual and can't find answer on forum or web.

Is it a simple change or do you need to flush the old oil out?

Finally is there a way of checking the garage have used the oil provided and not passed off any old stuff and kept the good stuff, paranoid me. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi pyrogenius

Just checked my manual....4.8 litres (this includes the filiter)

A bit left over from the 5 litre container,good idea to check the dipstick from 4 litres to full mark though.

I've only drained the old oil and refilled...never flushed.

If you do not trust the mechanic either watch him do it...or ask for the empty container back.But if you wind him up to much you may get a comment like "do it yourself".

:) :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, will go and see how much that'll cost me.

Is it an easy diy job or is it a fairly cheap thing to ask a garage to do for you?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi

With a bit of practice it like most jobs it becomes easier,the biggest problem is getting to the sump plug,jack and axle stands are required,if you do it on your drive.
Then dispose of used oil at the council tip,they normally have a dedicated container for waste oil,it is illegal to pour it down the drain you could face a fine.

I've done countless oil changes over the years but it is not everyones cup of tea...its a messy job but someones got to do it.

:) :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Oil Change

Most manufacturers don't recomend using flushing agents - there is a posibilty it may affect seals etc., around the engine. Some flushing agents can be quite agressive. In the long run its cheaper to change the oil more often than to take the risk. If in doubt about whether the garage will used good quality oil is always open to question as they like to supply their own which they normally buy in bulk (they usually pay approx., £1-00 a litre) - so they can make a profit -a nice little earner as they say. I am not saying their oil is inferior - but because they buy in bulk they will usually only stock one or two varieties - in the hope it will suit most vehicles that come through the door. Most garages don't mind if the owner provides their own oil -but if they object - that would raise doubts in my mind. My advice is change your oil and filter at every service or at least once a year - whichever comes first.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again, been looking at the Amsoil site to work out which one I need.

I did notice the diesel additives too, Whatcar descibes these as Snake oil with no proven advantage. Can't find any tests online to prove either way. Might try one of the ones recommended in another post, I keep a track of my mileage/costs as I do so many so I should be able to notice a difference.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Cheers, will go and see how much that'll cost me.

Is it an easy diy job or is it a fairly cheap thing to ask a garage to do for you?
I've literally just returned from the garage after I needed a new sump plug and washer due to the previous owner being a complete idiot and using a spanner to do up the plug - wondered why my oil was leaking?

Anyhow, new plug, washer and complete oil and filter change cost me £30 which isn't bad. I would have done it myself but didn't feel safe getting under the car on unlevel road outside our house.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Snake Oil Additives

Just found out why they're called snake oil - it apparently dates back to the old-west days in the USA when quack medicine sales guys sold so-called potions which were a complete con and scam. There are many good quality oils available today - go to a good reputable motor factors and they can advise you - last time I was able to buy excellent quality oil for £12-00 (5Litre pack). Additives such as the snake oil stuff your talkng about can actually damage the molecular structure of some oils and cause engine damage or excessive wear. Keep it simple - just use a good quality oil and don't forget to change the filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts