Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just done an oil change this morning but couldn’t get the oil filter to budge. I’m using a chain wench but this just dig in. I left the old filter on, as I didn’t want to hole it and find it still wouldn’t budge, also the reason why I didn’t ram a screwdriver though it.

Is it possible to change the filter without changing the oil ?
(I appreciate that there would be some spillage)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi paterson - Yeh the filters can get a really tight grip and the chain wrench applies pressure at one point causing it to crumple - I suggest you use one the the triple claw type. See link below. You can change the filter after the oil has been done - just make sure you have plenty of rags to catch the spillage. The only disadvantage of changing the filter after changing the oil is that the fresh oil has had a chance to flush out all the guff that was trapped in the old filter. That is assuming you have had the car running.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/engines/19682-oil-filter-remover.html?highlight=oil+filter+tool:)

Attachments

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Pattinson, yes you can change the filter without changing the oil.... the only spillage will be from the filter housing, as all the oil will be in the sump.

Try putting the chain wrench on the folded over edge of the filter (right at the bottom where it screws to the engine) ... this is the strongest part of the "can" and it should come off with some brute strength, assuming you have the clearance, alt wrap some old rags round the can, then use the chain wrench ... should stop it tearing the walls of the filter.

hope it helps :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi

Didn't get a chance yesterday to have another go. Bought one these from a local DIY store - only £2.95. Just enough space to get it in. Could only turn it about a 16th of a turn but after a few turns - off it came. Boy was it tight !!!

Again - many thanks :)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Thats an interesting looking tool, thanks for getting back to us and glad you got it sorted in the end.
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same wrench but not much use in my case - there's not much space to move it around.
Used it just to rotate the filter only a few degrees, then using thin piece of clean cloth for good grip, unscrewed it by hand.
I tightened the new filter the same way.

madnoel10's wrench in the post is probably the best solution in tight spaces.
However, another possibility (provided you have strong hands) is to use a piece of old sandpaper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone seen the large socket type cup that fits over canister sockets ?

Like this one. I know this is for paper element filters, but would be easier to get the old one out if it was a matter of putting this on the end.

·
Registered
85 Posts
there are a couple of methods you could try. if you have a large pair of waterpump pliers you could try them if you can get a grip. you could try one of the easily available filter wrenches or failing that you could try the butcher method (hammer a broad screwdriver through filter body) i have yet to come across a filter that cant be removed:d:d:d

·
Registered
8 Posts
Renault Scenic 1.9dCI 04 plate.

Tried to do a quick "between service" oil & filter change last weekend and ended up spending two days on the job.

Oil filter stuck like it was welded on - serviced by Renault Aldershot 6000 miles ago.

Tried strap wrenches, oil filter wrenches all no success - mainly because of the lack of space from above or below and therefore no leverage room.

Eventually resorted to removing the whole front of the car - front plastics, metal bumper, air scoops, intercooler, and moving air conditioning condenser and finally removing the electric fan and moving the radiator forward.

The extra space finally permitted leverage for a normal oil filter wrench to work but I saw that I started moving the oil pump housing as well that the filter is mounted to, before the filter finally letting go.

Bugger of a job!

Upside - discovered that the intercooler had jumped out of its mounts and have now made a small mod to prevent this in future.

Downside - have to find out why the intercooler is wet with oil - turbo seals no doubt.

The Scenic IIs are great cars but just one thing after another.

Thank heavens for you guys!!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Downside - have to find out why the intercooler is wet with oil - turbo seals no doubt.

The Scenic IIs are great cars but just one thing after another.

Thank heavens for you guys!!
Not nescessarily. The crancase is vented into the air intake. Oil and water vapour is produced as an engine is run. This is seperated by the PCV valve. There will alway be some oil in the intake air as the valve vents the oil vapour into the intake before it gets to the intercooler. Depending on how worn the bores are in the engine, the more the bore is worn, the more blow by, there could be a lot of oil in the intercooler or throttle body/egr. It doesn't follow that the turbo is leaking.

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
This is my tool bought for less than a pound a few years ago from a Biltema shop in Sweden. Its the best oil filter removal tool I've ever owned. It comes in two sizes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts