Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to reset the oil service indicator on my 97 Scenic. When I turn on the ignition I get 000000 Oil.

I have pushed the Trip Computer button and while holding it in, turned off the ignition and turned it on again. I have tried it a few times and it still says 000000 Oil

Has anyone any idea as to how to reset it ?

Cormac

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi ChampionC

I'm sure if the display shows a full set of 0's then the oil level is ok....if it shows 000_ _ _ then you need to top up.

Best to use the dipstick to check oil level though.

Hope this helps.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
There is no "service indicator" on the early scenic's..

The display is only a simple oil level indicator.. All oooooo in the display means the oil level is at max.. Any --- in the display means you need to check the level..

Reactions: Getafix

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no "service indicator" on the early scenic's..

The display is only a simple oil level indicator.. All oooooo in the display means the oil level is at max.. Any --- in the display means you need to check the level..
I've just had my mid-service oil change done at KwikFit. The indicator upon startup (55 gr. scenic) now says "Oil Level OK 00000_ _

I would have thought that the level is good, I checked it when I picked it up and it was only about a half centimetre from the max line--that should be alright, no?

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
I've just had my mid-service oil change done at KwikFit. The indicator upon startup (55 gr. scenic) now says "Oil Level OK 00000_ _

I would have thought that the level is good, I checked it when I picked it up and it was only about a half centimetre from the max line--that should be alright, no?
I would say No, it's not alright. I'd expect the full amount of oil to be put in on a service. You've been short changed. Perhaps this one of the other things Kwik Fit can do. i.e. save money on oil.

On another note. I had the first service done on my Scenic at a Renault main dealer. A day or two later I checked the oil level using athe dipstick and found out it was grossly overfilled. I took it back and had the excess taken out. They claimed to have put the amount in for a different model. I also got a litre of oil out of them for my trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just done a Change on mine Oil /Filter had to reset the Service Light.
When i turn the Ignition on it states Oil Ok but there are no 0000000) whatsoever, Its not flashing and the dip stick is hard to Read is this normal.:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hvae a 2003 Renault Scenic 1.4 16v Fidgi (old shape). Does it have a service indicator? Cant see one on the display, just shows the oil level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive just got a scenic 2.0 auto privalige,
every now and again the service light comes on and the screen reads oil-----

Would this suggest the oil level is low?
if i was to let the car cool for 20 mins all is ok again, no service light and the screen reads oil ok.
Oil level did seem ok but my drive is on a slight slope so will need to recheck tomorrow.

This car has also just been apparently serviced before i brought it from a dealer

thanks

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Park the car on level ground and then use the dipstick to check the oil level,this is the only way to know for sure that the level is right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ladti is (of course) correct, the only proper way to check oil level is to do as he says - electronics can go wrong....don't rely on them!

On my 2001 Scenic, the SERV light would come on if the oil level was a bit low and I parked on a steep hill, as the oil collected away from the level sensor. When the oil level is very low the indicator will show ------. Refilling the oil automatically cleared the SERV light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In fairness the dash oil level indicator is pretty accurate. I managed to snap my dipstick about 6 months back and struggled to find a cheap replacement (dealer wanted £45 + vat). I wasnt too bothered because my car rarely loses oil.

However an oil service was due, so I managed to find a replacement dipstick, my dash read oil OK 00000-, when reading dipstick my oil was just under maximum.

As with a dipstick, I found that if you park on any sort of incline, then you get a false reading, many times Ive had a message "oil low" when parked on an incline and everything was fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Renault Scenic - Oil Level HELP

Hi i hope some one can help me i have a renault scenic year 2005 / 1.4 petrol when i put the key card in and start it it says oil ok 000000 then the spanner comes on and says oil needs changing soon but the spanner is still there can any one help on this matter please yours paul.

P

·
0 Posts
The 000000 is an electronic dipstick and is telling you that the level is good :)

The other is telling you that you are due a service

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 000000 is an electronic dipstick and is telling you that the level is good :)

The other is telling you that you are due a service
Thank you for replying but it only had an oil change 8 months ago and only done 3 / 400 miles and only saying oil change soon and the spanner stopping on and nothing saying about a service ? can i reset the spanner any info would be most greatful yours paul.

P

·
0 Posts
Ah OK, so they didn't reset the service interval :)

Yes it can be done, a quck forum search for service reset should find the info you need...if you have any problems post back here, and i'm sure that someone will help you :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Btw always check your oil manually, mine shows 000000 on display when it can be halfway down on dipstick, these types of thing are a nice feature but just encourages negligence really and in actual fact often don't do what they are supposed to do anyway, just like mine!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
I have just bought a 2004 renault megane scenic, 1.4 16v, when i have gone to check the oil the dipstick snapped off, i have been unable to remove the rest of the dipstick so now need to remove the metal pipe that goes into the engine, i would be very grateful if anyone could tell me if i need to remove the sump to get this out or what to do, any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Dan.
Did you managed to remove the oil dipstick tube in the end? How did you do?
I have the same problem with broken dipstick in tube on my 1.4 petrol engine Scenic 2.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts