Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just quickly how do do drain and replace the gearbox oil? the gears on my scenic are getting worse and want to flush and replace the gearbox oil except my local car superstores don't seem to have a haynes manual in stock so im not sure where to look, anyone help give me a bit of a point in the right direction? Thanks

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
There is a drain plug in the bottom of the gearbox.Remove this and allow to drain for as long as you have patience to wait for!.If you can,replace the washer around the drain plug as this is where the plug seals to.(Obviously collect the old oil and dispose of in the proper place.....you'll need a container that holds 3 litres or more).

Once the gear box has drained and you've replaced the plug,look at the front of the gearbox.You should be able to see a plastic wing nut headed bolt.Remove this,and with the car on level ground,refill the box until the oil starts to drip out of the hole.Replace the plastic bolt and it's job done!.

If you want details on which oil should be used or pictures of the drain plug and level plug locations,then get back to me......:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
excellent help and quick, 3 LITRES? seems a lot still i take it the drain is under the car, as for the wing nut bolt is this acceable from above if the car has to be on a flat level, also before i do this whats happens to the car is that the gears are really quite hard to get but only once the car has been driving for say ten mins, i was advised that maybe the gearbox oil has never been replaced, does this seem like it could be my problem ya think as its the cheapest option, any pics you have to help would be really appreciated :) as im baffeled where to look :)

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The oil would be the place to start.:)

I'll get my car on a lift tomorrow and get some pics for you(the gearboxes are the same externally:))

The level plug should be accessible from the top of the car,but I'll post more details tomorrow.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks lagdti that will be a great help, really appreciate this, ile check back tomorrow night ...

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Ok,here we go!:)

To start with you'll need,

An 8mm square drain plug socket
A spanner to use with the socket
A drain tray that will hold 4 litres of oil
Disposable gloves(gearbox oil stinks,especially old stuff!!!:eek:)
A large piece of cardboard to lay on and to catch any drips
3.5 litres of 75w80 gear oil(ideally in 1 litre sqeezy bottles)
Pair of pliers

A picture of the drain plug socket and the drain plug with a new copper crushable washer(available from any good motor factors)

You may find it easier to jack the front of the car up to gain access to the drain plug,but please use axle stands!.The drain plug is located at the bottom of the gear box.You might need to unclip a plastic cover under the gearbox to get to the plug(marked green in the picture,the plug is circled in yellow:)).This picture is taken underneath the car from the front.The gearbox is to the right of the engine as you look from the front,don't drain the engine oil by mistake!.:d

Place the cardboard on the floor,the drain tray under the plug and remove the plug being carefull not to drop it into the drain tray!.The oil should then come out......

Whilst your waiting for it to drain,remove the old washer from the drain plug and replace with a new one.Wait as long as possible before refitting the drain plug to allow as much oil to drain out as possible.It is better to do this when the gearoil is warm(after a short journey),but be careful as the components under the car will be hot!!.After re-fitting the plug and tightening it,remove the drain tray and lower the car back onto it's wheels.Leave the cardboard under the car as this will catch the drips when you re-fill the box......

The filler for the gearbox is sometimes visable from above the car.On mine it is hidden under a wiring loom.....(filler location is marked with yellow arrow).This picture is taken from the front of the car looking down.

Here is the filler from underneath(cr4p picture,I know!:eek:).It is a plastic wing nut headed bolt which can be unscrewed using a pair of pliers.

Remove the filler and slowly sqeeze in the new oil.After a while,you should see oil constantly dripping out of the hole,this tells you that the gearbox is filled to the correct level.:).Make sure the car is as level as possible,otherwise you could end up over or under filling the 'box.Don't be alarmed if you don't use all of the oil.My information says it should take 3.4 litres to fill,but from experience it's usually closer to 2.5 litres.Once filled to the right level,replace the filler plug.Just nip it up by hand,don't over tighten as it could break.

Check for leaks from the drain plug,and thats about it.Dispose of the old oil in the correct place(some recycling centres have oil drums or try your local,friendly garage,they may dispose of it for a small charge).:)

Hopefully this all makes sense and I haven't missed anything.....:eek:

As when doing anything your unsure about,take your time and stay calm!.Your saving yourself some money by doing it yourself,but if you get it wrong it could end up costing you more!.If you are at all unsure about attempting this,let someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you,or at least be there to help and guide you through it.:)

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you sooooo much, this will be really useful, gonna have to wait will weekend now, but will let you know how things work out, once again thanks for all you help :)

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
hi lag. my wifes scenic has just developed a whine when she goes into fourth gear. would this be a case of the gear box lacking oil or something wearing out?

any advice would be very helpful. cheers, glenlesjd

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The obvious place to start would be to check the oil level,but as it's specific to one gear it does sound a little more involved I'm afraid.:eek:

If the level is low I'd be tempted to drain the box and refill with a decent quality oil,but if the noise persists then it's either rebuild or replace time unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I was looking into replacing the oil in the wifes Scenic and thought the 3.1 litres Halfords quoted was quite a bit but see that's it's probably right then! Why they can't put this information in the hand book or even the Haynes manual is beyond me :rolleyes:

I see mention of a whine in a post above that is noticable in 4th gear only, now, I get a whine under harsh(er) acceleration in 1st gear and very occasionally in 2nd gear. At first I thought the noise sounded like air being forcably sucked into something as it appeared to be coming from the drivers side of the dash/engine bay area??

I shall change the gearbox oil and see if that cures it, failing that :crazy: I've just rectified some noises on the Scoob that I thought was the gearbox and now I gotta start worrying about the Scenics :steam:

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
I assume it's not mentioned in the handbook, or Haynes manual, because the gear box oil doesn't need to be changed under normal servicing, just checking the level and topping up if necessary. However, I agree it would do no harm to tell owners the gear box oil capacity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking into replacing the oil in the wifes Scenic and thought the 3.1 litres Halfords quoted was quite a bit but see that's it's probably right then! Why they can't put this information in the hand book or even the Haynes manual is beyond me :rolleyes:

I see mention of a whine in a post above that is noticable in 4th gear only, now, I get a whine under harsh(er) acceleration in 1st gear and very occasionally in 2nd gear. At first I thought the noise sounded like air being forcably sucked into something as it appeared to be coming from the drivers side of the dash/engine bay area??

I shall change the gearbox oil and see if that cures it, failing that :crazy: I've just rectified some noises on the Scoob that I thought was the gearbox and now I gotta start worrying about the Scenics :steam:
Hi there, can anyone please help Me here.I am experiencing a problem with My 2004 Renault Scenic II 1.6 16V.It is difficult to change the gears on My first drive < in the Morning >from the first gear to the second /from the second gear back to the first gear.For the first 10 to 20 minutes is a problem but afterwards things gets back to normal.I have checked the gear oil level and it is still okay.What can be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
13,666 Posts
My Trafic does the same, if below 6C.
Think it's the clutch plate sticking on the splines. Waiting till clutch goes, due to the cost of gearbox out just for a bit of cleaning / Lubrication.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lagdti has written an excellent response to changing the gear box oil.

At risk of making it a little more complicated, three additional comments to anyone doing this because of poor gearbox performance.
The drain plug is normally magnatised to attract metal filings/swarf. do clean the inside end of the drain plug and worry about bigger chunks of metal /or excess fillings. in my experience, 100,000 = These normally feel a bit like a silver metal sludge that you wipe of, i.e. a little silver dust/sludge is perfectly normal.
Regarding the oil that comes out. if you can, collect the old oil and measure the quantity, is it short on volume? Also make an assessment of how oily and contaminated it is. For instance my brother in laws had significant quantities of water in it. This all helps diagnose faults.
It is sometimes worth changing it again after driving for a while, always when the car gearbox oil is as warm as you can without getting burnt. So called flushing it.

As a young man I once took on an old austin A40 that my Grandma sold me, that became very noisy in the gearbox, i tried to drain it, only to find it had no oil in it! A ford main agent had been responsible for it full service history...........grrr
Filled it with oil it drove for another 30,000 miles so do not panic about noise with clean oil, they often carry on for ages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just replaced the gearbox oil on my Scenic Mk 1 2003. First get all your equipment ready before you start, 75W oil, new washer for drain plug, filler bottle with flexi-tube and oil catchment container. The drain plug is an 8mm square socket, same size as the main oil drain plug. It's situated under a plastic cover on the left-hand side of the engine (passenger side) that also protects the gearbox linkage from road dirt, etc. It's a clip fitting so care needs to be taken with its removal. I use a kitty litter tray for catching the oil, the one I got from Halfords wasn't up to the job as the flow was too quick. The filler plug is located at the front of the engine, a plastic wing nut which may be tight if it hasn't been removed in a while. If you can't get a flexi tube filler bottle a funnel fitted with a short length of garden hose will serve as well. The capacity is around 3 litres, depending on your specific model. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My scenic when I put my foot to the floor is over revving. Any ideas on what I could do with it myself before spending a load of money going to a garage. I'm doing the engine oil and oil filter tomorrow already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My scenic when I put my foot to the floor is over revving. Any ideas on what I could do with it myself before spending a load of money going to a garage. I'm doing the engine oil and oil filter tomorrow already.
I was doing the engine oil and oil filter already before I was aware of this new problem

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,997 Posts
Is it a manual car?
Engine speed increasing with no increase in road speed is usually the clutch slipping unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts