Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Bought a Scenic 98 1.6 rn today have been traveling about 25 miles , had no problems with engaging reverse gear until we came home all other gears ok , really have to push it in hard to engage, does this sound like the linkage is worn or a serious problem with the gear box:crazy:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: update: Hi again, Tried the car again last night and found if I don't push the clutch all the way down to the floor I have trouble getting into reverse gear I thing that the clutch is either on its way out or needs adjusting, have anybody had this experience .

cheers rob:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

Bought a Scenic 98 1.6 rn today have been traveling about 25 miles , had no problems with engaging reverse gear until we came home all other gears ok , really have to push it in hard to engage, does this sound like the linkage is worn or a serious problem with the gear box:crazy:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: update: Hi again, Tried the car again last night and found if I don't push the clutch all the way down to the floor I have trouble getting into reverse gear I thing that the clutch is either on its way out or needs adjusting, have anybody had this experience .

cheers rob:cool:
I'm having the same issue has anyone else having this problem and knows a solution?

It's intermittent and not sure why sometimes it's difficult to get reverse and other times its not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also have a problem with reverse, sometimes it goes in like a new car, sometimes I have to move forward in 1st a touch before I can get reverse, no-one has an answer for me from the dealers. If anyone can help it would be great.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Seems like a common problem,and all of them clutch related.

I'd a second opinion from someone who can actaully test the clutch,but all of the posts sound like the clutch will need replacing.

Anyone have any other thoguhts?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reverse sorted

Hi again, I have had a new clutch fitted, had my local garage take a look, first checked the adjustment on the clutch cable then the linkage from gear stick to the gear box all was ok , so had the clutch done for £280 now its like a new car, I did phone my local Renault garage for a quote (£500). I do know after reading a lot post that the linkage can be problem with reverse gear , hope this helps?:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Excellent,thanks for the update.:)

It's great to hear that your car is back to full health.:)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Some very good posts on here people and a pleasant ending too, all be it £280 worse of but not the worse story!

Well Done:d

·
Registered
11 Posts
HI All i have the same problem, but could someone please me, On the gear stick we have pull up, So this open the gate to reverse, but i have nothing if i feel down the stick i can feel like two pins that stick out, on both parts the pull leaver and stick,

i think that i already know the answer, how should they be joined....

·
Registered
11 Posts
As per my Q above, i have now had a look at the gear leaver, and found there is a wire cable, that joins the bottom of the pull up leaver, on pulling this wire it come clean out of the housing, Its not broke both joins and the ends are fine.
So if i could have some input how to rejoin this back, can this be done from inside the car, by removing panels, ???

Rich

·
Registered
11 Posts
i get a grinding noise intermitantly when i select reverse gear all the other gears are fine and reverse gear can be sometimes awkward any ideas on a fix for it please :crazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts