Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I've recently purchased an 04 plate 1.4 scenic II, since buying it ive put around 500 miles on it within the last week and have found no problems at all apart from it seeming to rock a little while stationery. Having never owned a scenic before I was wondering if this is normal.

There's no strange noises, it starts 1st time, has never cut out so far or even sounded like its going to cut out, its just when stationery after a few seconds it rocks sort of rhythmically, doesnt judder or anything but its very noticeable, any ideas what it could be if not normal.

Regards

Gumball

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
This seems to be a characteristic of the 1.4 Renault engine as far as I know there is no fix available at the moment, You may find that some times when pulling up that the revs will drop and think the car is going to stall .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ottoman, guess i'll have to get used to the rocking, on the positive side at least its not going to cost me anything :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
If the rocking is excessive it might be an engine mounting, Do you have excessive movement in the gearlever or other signs of movement.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi, do you mean does the gearstick vibrate, shake etc? if so then no, theres no signs of that or any other movements from the car.

In my original post I put a few seconds but it doesnt actually start the rocking until at least 30 seconds in idle, wether the car is warmed up or not, the last couple of days seems better though. Maybe it was something silly like the car had been on forecourt for couple of weeks or maybe I just havent been stationery often to notice the problem in the last couple of days(most of driving avoids rush hour etc)
I'll make an effort over the next few days to keep it in idle for a bit and i'll report back if the problem exists.

Not sure if its related or not but are these engines regarded as quiet, noisy etc, its just that when standing at front of car when it was in idle, i could hear some belt or fan spinning and wasnt the quietest of engines in general. The bonnet was down at the time, engine noise inside the car is fine. I guess I should find some time and check the car out properley. Actual driving seems good though, no squeeks, rattles, no brake or electrical probs, just the thing with the rocking.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yes they can seem a bit noisy from the front and as you say a very quite interior.

The idle can drop when say you drive up to the lights/Junction and stop it will seem to drop quite drastically but will pick up again.

All seems as it should be.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, ive actually just come in from checking the car out, here's what i found.

Car was in idle, 4 bars on rev counter (under 1000rpm) a bit of rocking/vibrating/juddering, could see a wiper arm vibrateing, could hear belt type noise or something similar and slight ticking as well as engine noise, opened bonnet and could see engine moving a little bit.

I then get in car and touch accelerater and increase revs a tiny bit, still on 4 bars, belt type noise and ticking gone as well as vibration and engine movement, does this sound normal and they are just unrefined while ticking over or maybe it is the mounts or something else?

Regards

Gumball

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The Renault 16 valve engines do seem to be a little erratic on idle,but yours sounds like there may be a problem somewhere.

Have you had it looked at again yet?:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts