Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im Tara i am wondeing if someone can offer me some advice on my scenic rx4?? the fifth gear has been throwing itself out of gear all on its own ?? i was driving on the motorway when this was happening :eek: i am scared and worried now

G

·
Re: rx4 problem ??

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I'm not 100% but think it might be possible to have the 5th gear replaced without removing the gearbox from the car which really is a big job.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Re: rx4 problem ??

Assuming it's a 5-speed box they have a history of the large nut which retains 5th gear coming loose. If caught early it can be tightened. The job can be done in situ., by removing the end plate of the gearbox for access.

Continued use runs the rsk of sustaining serious gearbox damage.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tara, it happened to me 3 months ago.As madnoel10 said, the left front wheel has to be removed, the plastic mud guard in the wheel arch too and then you can see the end cover of the gearbox. see 1st pic.
3 bolts to remove to open the gearbox cover. Drain the gearbox first, of course, less messy. And you should see the bolt which holds the fifth gear. see 2nd pic.
In my case the bolt was loose but hadn't dropped. If the teeth of the gear is damage, you need a new one, otherwise remove the bolt, clean and dry it, put some loctite (stud-lock) and tighten with a metric wrench "11", if you don't have the proper socket. Put cover back, make sure that the seal is properly sited in the cover and that's it. Wait for the loctite to set before refilling your gearbox with oil.
I did it in my drive way. just be careful not to put any dirt in the gearbox when it's open.

Attachments

·
HotShoe WANNABEE..
246 Posts
Re; Gearbox Cover.

Seeing above [good] advice.....I have gearboxoil weeping past of the plastic endcover on mine (D4F=Clio 16V motor) and cannot see any reason for it. The box is smooth & silent. Cable clutch.
It has only just started to leak, dripping onto the chassis leg :(

At 65k I suppose an opportunity to refill the box is a good idea... any specific tips for the proper sealing of the cover (when I put it back on - like BlueHylomar/new Dealer gasket?).

thanxx in advance

:loser:
knownClone

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Tara, it happened to me 3 months ago.As madnoel10 said, the left front wheel has to be removed, the plastic mud guard in the wheel arch too and then you can see the end cover of the gearbox. see 1st pic.
3 bolts to remove to open the gearbox cover. Drain the gearbox first, of course, less messy. And you should see the bolt which holds the fifth gear. see 2nd pic.
In my case the bolt was loose but hadn't dropped. If the teeth of the gear is damage, you need a new one, otherwise remove the bolt, clean and dry it, put some loctite (stud-lock) and tighten with a metric wrench "11", if you don't have the proper socket. Put cover back, make sure that the seal is properly sited in the cover and that's it. Wait for the loctite to set before refilling your gearbox with oil.
I did it in my drive way. just be careful not to put any dirt in the gearbox when it's open.
Hi when i removed the plug there was very little oil left and when i removed the gearbox cover bits of shrapnel fell out and i could see the v shaped part that sits behind main visible gear and Auto part Disc brake Engine Automotive engine part Automotive starter motor
slides in and out had snapped off on the left hand side. Is this the end for the gearbox?

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
The problem is getting a new selector fork and then fitting - besides there is no knowing what the lack of oil and how much damage the loose shrapnel has done to the bearings.
Either way the box will need to come out so a second hand or reconditioned replacement would be the best option.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Once metal fragments get ground up in the gears and bearings there is every likelihood the box will fail sooner or later. When is the unanswerable question.
Repairing the box as it is will likly be expensive so a used unit would probably be the cheapest option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.