Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not had my RX4 long, and I do love it BUT can someone tell me in simple to understand terms how to remove the spare wheel from the rear tail gate, should I need to, say following a puncture?

I can change the wheel myself, once I know how to free the thing from its mounting

Girly and blonde but not totally helpless!

Thank you muchly

Jess

P

·
0 Posts
It's quite easy really. I'm assuming that you have the wheel cover.

Open tail gate and reach into the cargo pocket on the inside. You'll find a large plastic nut in the middle, unscrew it until it comes off. Close the tail gate, and the cover should pull straight back (you may have to jiggle it a bit). There are 3 standard wheel studs that hold the wheel on. To put it back on reverse the process. Don't worry if the cover doesn't go all the way on, you can use the nut to pull it home.

Hope this helps you out.

Pat

PS It's pretty easy to change the wheel (the lock nut adaptor is usually with the jack under the carpet). Dont bother putting the puntured wheel back on the gate, but put it in the boot instead (assuming you have the room).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that - no actually, the spare doesn't have a cover - but does have the big plastic twiddly thing ( techie terminology!) which would hold it in place, so i'll ignore that and just go for the wheel nuts then.

I wondered why the said twiddly thing appeared to do nothing!:rolleyes:

Thanks

P

·
0 Posts
I'm surprised that they bothered to put the "twiddly thing" (you know that's going to stick now? :rofl: ) there at all if it's not needed. It may still be used as anti theft, to prevent the wheel from being removed from the car from the outside only. I just looked through the handbook, but typically it's no help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
HI, just to let ye know my experience with spare wheel....
Changed wheel and putting back on wheel cover, while tightening the large plastic nut it pulled the bolt through, now i,ve to get a replacement section for inside the wheel cover!! Boy was I p#*'sed off!!! Either it was nearly done before i got the car or its a very weak point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts