Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from an extended holiday and catching up on posts before asking a question of my own re turbo whistling noise and have seen post by jselwood.

My turbo started whistling about 3 weeks ago and yesterday when returning from Portugal to Southern Spain the note changed to a higher pitched more "stangulated "whistle.

Car was well loaded with three adults, full of luggage from floor to roof plus a large maximum load in a roof box. We had been traveling at 75/80 mph for about seven hours and I assumed the turbo had overheated (I don't know anything about mechanics), so I slowed down and motored on at a reduced 60mph and reached home without further trouble. The whistling seemed to go back to its previous note.

I had intended to take the car to a garage for a check but from the replies to jselwood it seems this is fairly urgent but I am wondering if it is safe to use the car whilst waiting for the garage booking. We live in the country and life is difficult without a car.

Sorry for length of post but would welcome advice.

Ray Burrows

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi:) the first things if ure sure its the turbo, i would check the oil level in the car, especially after such a long journey, if its low the turbo will be running dry and giving you the high pitched scream and may result in destroying the bearings, also it could just be a boost leak giving you the whistle.
as to your question about using the car its realy your call, but if its realy high pitched then i would say no as it could lead to a costly repair mate.

good luck with it and let us know the outcome plz alex:)

Reactions: lawla81

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alex

Thanks for prompt reply and advice.

No, I'm not sure it is the turbo - its the only thing I could think of that could make a noise that increased and decreased with engine revs plus the fact that I reasoned that the turbo being powered by exhaust gases could overheat especially in view of the fact that I had been travelling fast and far and the ambient temperature was also increasing as we drove further south.

I will check oil level tomorrow (when it gets light)

Thank you

Ray Burrows

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Any updates Ray?.Have you managed to cure the turbo noise?:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Turbo whistle?

Hi mate,
having had smoke and a low speed rough ride fixed by a new egr valve, I've also noted with concern a whistle which I noticed at the same time.
Now it's fixed (I hope), I asked both an independant and a Ren' Garage about it.
They both denied it was the turbo and that I should put the sound proofing cover back on, removed by me originally for a quick inspection, and they promised it would make all the difference! This I shall try but I'm not convinced.
Hope you get sorted and report back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all

Update re my turbo whistle.

Took car to local Renault dealer here in Spain and they confirmed that it was the turbo.

Had it replaced (plus something in the intercooler - sorry I'm not very technical & its even more difficult in a foreign language!!). Any way, whistle has now gone.

In fact the car is running much more smoothly & quietly and appears to have more pulling power.

Ray Burrows

1 - 6 of 6 Posts