Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a 7 seater grand scenic.

I was told when i bought it that was reinforced in the manual that it didn't come with a spare and that the tyres had sensors and were 'ride flat' tyres so no need for spare.

I had a puncture sunday morning, I drive 10 miles to kwik fit and the car drove fine on a very flat tyre. Kwik fit told me with 100% certainity that non of my four matching michelins were 'ride flat' tyres and not only that but they couldn't supply any to that size, i found this odd as it drove fine when flat.

So, now i'm in a situation where i think i have normal tyres and no spare, i understand that the spare would have gone where seats 6 and 7 are. I have found a voud underneath with 3 studs protruding that i guess is for this, but i have no idea whether i should source a tyre for this and if so what tyre to get.

Very confused as everything seems contradict what i had originally been lead to believe...

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it was private, and had it for many months now, i've asked him various questions and he just shrugs his shoulders (as i probably would)

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Ahh, probably the best thing to do then would be if you have a local scrappers, just pop in and see if they have a spare that will fit, you will probably pick it up for about 20 quid. good luck.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Run-flat tyres but only at the bottom

Contact a local renault dealer. If there is the space for a spare - you can but a spare wheel - it's the skinny type - also check if there's a jack and wheel brace in the vehicle. Maybe the previous owner never had a puncture - so he/she doesn't know.:)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Don't believe everything you read in the manual - they cover all models and all countries. Also the previous owner may not have known, or chose not to tell you!
Somewhere there will be small print in the manual that says" depending on version & Country".

Run flat tyres and tyre pressure sensors were, and still are, an optional extra on the Scenic in the UK. As is a spare wheel with the Grand Scenic. Somewhere you should have a kit of repair sealant. Only use this as a last resort though as if it is left in the tyre for more than about 24hrs the tyre is ruined!

I know this wont help you at the moment though.
What size are your tyres?
If you feel uncomfortable without a spare , do as others have suggested and try and get one from a breakers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Run flat tyres are basically normal tyres which have a strip of plastic inside them a bit bigger than the rim, and it protudes about an inch.

they are expensive, but it sounds like the previous owner has had to replace them and found cheaper tyres more favourable.

the spare tyre will just be a skinny spacesaver which you can get from anywhere for about £20, as mentioned above.

always make sure you have a jack, wheelbrace and locking wheelnut key when you go out in case you get a flat.

a wheel brace and jack will cost you about £10 from a scrapyard, the space saver about £15-20. just make sure it is renault stud layout.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the tools are there, just seems so odd to me that the car is so low mileage that it's most likely that these are tyres that it came off the production line with yet it contradicts the manual and clearly has no sensors as the dash didn't flag up that tyre when flat. The other thing is that unless you've got arms like popeye there's no way you could hold the wheel up under the car onto those threads and then tighten up wing nuts are whatever is used - for such a technologically advanced car this all seems a bit primative

·
Registered
14 Posts
i too have a 7 seater scenic ,and was told there is no spare ,but there was one ,don't trust renault uk ,they don't know there ¤¤¤¤ from there elbow ,watch out for water leaks in the rear footwells ,and the near silent alarm , my car has been hit once and the alarm failed to go off, hope you enjoy your scenic mine is going due to faults (the quicker the better)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
the tools are there, just seems so odd to me that the car is so low mileage that it's most likely that these are tyres that it came off the production line with yet it contradicts the manual and clearly has no sensors as the dash didn't flag up that tyre when flat.
Didn't you read my previous post. I clearly stated that the RUN FLAT TYRES & PRESSURE SENSORS are an optional extra. The manual covers all models and versions in different countries. Just because it's in the manual doesn't necessarily mean it's fitted to your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seems odd though that it drove perfectly for many miles with the tyre as flat as a pancake !! - i've had many cars with many punctures and they all tend to behave/drive the same - maybe as they're decent Michelins on it they just behave better when flat than a lessor tyre

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
seems odd though that it drove perfectly for many miles with the tyre as flat as a pancake !! - i've had many cars with many punctures and they all tend to behave/drive the same - maybe as they're decent Michelins on it they just behave better when flat than a lessor tyre
Hi scuzza, exactly what type and size of Michelins are fitted to your car ?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
If your tyres are 'extra - load' they will have stiffer sidewalls (therefore capable of handling increased loads, than compared with a standard tyre) - this may help explain why you were able to drive to the tyre place (plus, its unlikely that the tyre has no air at all in it). They are not runflats though. As a tyre pressure monitoring system is mandatory for factory-fitment.

I think the seller has possibly gotten the 2 confused.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Scuzza - stop larking about - take your car to a decent tyre dealer (preferably one who supplies the make that is fitted) - once they get the tyre type and ref., numbers they can look up their catalogue and tell you - I think that would be the easiest and quickest way of finding out. They may also be able to give you advice regarding fitting a spare wheel. We are all trying to help out here but there is a limit to what we can see maybe a picture and some numbers would help.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a 2004 Grand Scenic. It does not have a spare. It has its original Michelin Energy tyres. They are not run flat. In the boot floor compartment there is a small compressor and bottle of tyre sealant that you must use to inflate the punctured tyre. I actually found my compressor and sealant in the storeage compartment behind the drivers seat, but there is a place in the rear compartment of the boot and thats where it should be.

A spare wheel (space saver) or full size spare is an optional extra. You won't just be able to buy a wheel as if it did not originally come with a spare there will be no cage to hold the spare. You will have to fit this as well. Have a look under the car. Its obvious where the spare will go, mine has no cage.

After using the sealant you have to buy a replacement hose and sealant for compressor. The sealant gums up the hose.

Renault do offer a run flat system. They call it PAX, if you have it, you will have tyre sensors. When you had the puncture a shaded wheel should have appeared next to the relevant wheel on the little car display and Service should have appeared, also a warning message should have appeared on your display advising you of distance remaining until you must change tyre with an alternating Puncture repair tyre message. Cars with tyre sensors should also have a coloured ring on each valve. Wheels should not be interchanged. Also your wheel rims are different if you have have run flat tyres. I'm sure that the fitters would recognise not only the tyres but the rims.

Re being in stock, my Renault dealer had to order up the standard Michelins for my car when I required a replaement due to wear. Most replace with something cheaper.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi the Renault PAX system is actually supplied to Renault and many other manufacturers by Michelin.

It was an option on our Espace IV when we ordered it but it added £1500 to the cost and once you had it you had to change the complete wheel setup to use "normal" tyres again ... so guess what ... it stayed on the option list.

Read more about the PAX system here .. Technologie PAX System

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not much else to say on lack of spare wheels, Mrs W ordered her GS from new, no mention from stealer that there would be no spare.

Local stealer (Driveline/Motorline Dover) say (as has been pointed out) that the cage will not be fitted, and is around £2-300+fitting.

I tried kwikfit for two sets of tyres for My Espace (Michellin Pilot Premacy Extra load) and have since gone over to F1 Autocentres in Canterbury (they are also nationwide chain) they beat the price for KWFT and even though KWFT said they could match price, they were not too happy...

F1 have to order tyres in, but have stuck with Michellins.

Think I paid £98ea for a set of two for the scenic (two months ago) and £297 for a set of two for the Espace.

Renault sales people DO need to advise Grand Scenic purchasers about the spare wheels, as I was annoyed that my wife was stranded for two hours with one of the kids recently when she had a slow puncture and the tyre was too flat to drive.

BTW I always carry a battery operated tyre compressor, saved my bacon a few times (atually mostly others bacon not mine).

·
Registered
3 Posts
tyre sealant

can anybody help me i recently bought a grand scenic 04 ,as it is i have no spare only the pump without the fluid ,does anybody know where i can get the fluid from cheap and not from the stealers ,is there a special bottle that screws in ,,,,,, thanks

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
you can purchase the cage from the dealers for around £150, and is a simple job to fit

failing that, do what i did, I picked up a steel spare, for around £30, and a fabric cover for £10. It now just sits in the large boot the GS has. I do still have the bottle of sealant and compressor under the floor, but dont fancy using that on the motorway, so a full size spare in the boot seems the best option

1 - 20 of 27 Posts