Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know why my accelerator pedal might have started sticking when I first start up my Renault Megane Scenic?

I got my cam belt replaced a week or so ago, and when I picked it up I noticed that the rev counter was jumping when the car was in a stationery position. Took it back to the garage and they changed a spark plug, and this sorted out the jumping rev counter. But when we picked it up, we noticed that the accelerator pedal was sticky. It has never been sticky before.

Then when I started it a couple of days ago the accelerator pedal was completely stuck. I fiddled around with it (not very scientific I know) - lifting it up and wobbling it with my hand, and it then kicked in. Since then the same problem has occurred four times. I have taken it back to the garage for them to look at it, but they didn't think that it had been caused by anything they had done when the idle was fixed. Odd that!

Really grateful if anyone could let me know why they think the accelerator pedal might be sticking. The car is a Renault Megane Scenic 1997 Automatic.

Rupert

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Rupert, and welcome to the forums.

A perplexing one, that's for sure.

Either the recent work is entirely unrelated and its pure coincidence (which can happen), or its something caused by the garage (which is where I think you believe the responsibility lies ;) ).

I'm fairly sure your car will have a cable-operated throttle (rather than drive by wire), so I'd be inclined to trace the throttle cable from the pedal box, through the bulkhead to the engine, and look for signs of fraying, dirt, bends or twists which would impede its operation.

Also, if the cable is sited (or has been moved) close to a heat source (i.e. engine or exhaust manifold), then this can cause the cable to 'stick' within the sheath.

I'd also make my disatisfaction known to the garage (politely, but firmly).

Hope this has helped,

Paul:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi VelSatisfied,

Thanks very much for your feedback. The car is at the garage at the moment. I expressed my dissatisfaction when I dropped the car off at the garage, and they said that they would see what they could do! Anyway,
I'll post the outcome on the forum which I think is excellent.

Rupert

·
Registered
48 Posts
as above what vel said,
my dad's old celica did this but once puched on hard enough it was ok, if it is cable operated then trace it back and see for any damage, crud or anything dodgy. cable could be split inside so if take it off then try pulling it each way to see how free it is, could be you need a new cable.
also check the pedal linkage.

phill.c

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Good for you - a sticking throttle on an automatic (especially) is not a pleasant thought to consider.

I'm sure someone is probably getting their knuckles rapped as we type;) .

They'll either say - 'couldn't find a fault' - yet it'll have disappeared!

or

'it was an unrelated issue, but they've fixed it out of goodwill'

All the best,

Paul:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The garage just rang, and I've picked up the car which now seems fine. They sprayed something (WD40 - I assume) on the pedal itself and on the accelerator butterfly (think that's what he said). He said it was caused by wear and tear, and that it had dried out. He said this should sort it out. He said that I might need to get the accelerator cable replaced at some stage.

Said that it was nothing to do with the cam belt replacement (other side of car), or the rev counter repair.

No charge. Thanks very much for everyone's input.

Rupert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts