Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New here, so bear with me if I'm doing something wrong.
The problem is that when I start to let out the clutch, I can feel rather than hear a small clunk. It's as if the tyre has just gone over a ridge. It's especially noticeable on hill starts.
I'm hoping this is a common fault known to you experts out there, otherwise it could be long search (drive shafts; engine mounts; broken spring/shocker; clutch etc etc)
It's a 1998 Scenic 1600 Alize
Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome to the forums, sounds like a mounting problem
Had a good look at them and seemed ok but have noticed that the gearstick jerks at the same time as the clunk, so might still be them after all. Having said that, it could still be the cvs/driveshaft etc.
I'm asking if there is a recurring fault of this nature because I read that on buying a 1600 scenic of this age, you should check that the gearbox is ok. It didn't say why. I also recall that my car, of it's specific month of manufacture, had a recall, but again no details.
Ah well. I'll just keep on driving until it either gets so bad it'll be obvious, or wait till the mot in July.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I would say with the gear lever movement it is a mounting, Tho the gear lever does tend to move a bit anyway, If you are not experiencing any other problems with your gear change the gearbox should be OK.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Clunking sound

Hi greaseball - If it's a mounting problem - and don't get it seen to soon you could end up with bigger probs such as damaged exhaust, etc. May be a lot cheaper to get a fix now.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi greaseball - If it's a mounting problem - and don't get it seen to soon you could end up with bigger probs such as damaged exhaust, etc. May be a lot cheaper to get a fix now.:)

Yes I would agree with Madnoel here, Better getting it sorted sooner rather than later.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there.It's pretty common on scenics of that age to have split lower engine mounts.It could be any one of 2 which are bolted to the subframe.I would get it checked out before any more damage is done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spot on guys.....although it looked ok from the top, the gearbox mounting rubber has split underneath......
Strewth, it's not cheap is it? Been quoted £37.50. Is this normal? I'm showing my age now (I can remember when they were a couple of quid)
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts